Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/08 19:47:53 UTC

Changing versions from 3 to 1 in production - 0.90.3

Hi all,

We are planning to change versions of all of our tables (3 tables with 3 to
4 column families each) from 3 (default) to 1.
Here is why we want to change it:
1) We have never used versions and we don't really need them
2) It should reduce amount of data Hbase loads in memory (StoreFiles or
Stores) by 2/3rd.

Here are my questions:
1) Is this correct? Will it really reduce the amount of data it loads in
memory?

2) How do I do this in production? I know that HBase shell supports alter
statement. Do you recommend using that?
If I execute an alter statement, will it immediately start lot of activity
there by degrading our real time performance?

3) Do we need to do anything else before or after we run alter command?

Regards,
Vaibhav

Re: Changing versions from 3 to 1 in production - 0.90.3

Posted by Vaibhav Puranik <vp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Joey.

We have many counters with long keys. We update them frequently.
That is why I think it should help us.

Thanks again,
Vaibhav,
GumGum