Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2017/04/04 04:31:35 UTC

[compress] Ramping up for 1.14

Hi all

I've finished the LZ77 tweaks I wanted to apply before the next release,
only need to add some more documentation for the options that allow you
to tweak LZ4 or Snappy. And we should probably put a damper on the
expectations for LZ4 (which labels itself as "fast compression format").

https://github.com/bodewig/commons-compress-benchmarks/wiki/Comparison-of-Compression-Formats

Our implementation of Snappy is quite a bit faster than LZ4, but LZ4's
compression ratio is better.

I'd be grateful for a few more eyes looking over the new code (Snappy
output, lz4 and lz77 packages).

If anybody wants to look over the reports of the current master branch,
I've created a SNAPSHOT site at

https://stefan.samaflost.de/staging/commons-compress-1.14/

Stefan