Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Beth Ayres <Be...@sas.com> on 2007/12/07 18:08:42 UTC

Unsupported encoding error on Z/OS when using WS-Security

I am using AXIS2 1.3.  I have a client that runs on Z/OS.  When I make a web service call using WS-Security, I get a WSSecurityException: Unsupported encoding (EBCDIC).  I have debugged this problem and found the following.

In Axis2Util.getSOAPEnvelopeFromDOMDocument,

XMLUtils.outputDOM(doc.getDocumentElement(), os, true);

appears to prepend the encoding declaration to the document and encode that declaration itself in EBCDIC.  The rest of the document is encoded in UTF-8.

Then

ByteArrayInputStream bais =  new ByteArrayInputStream(os.toByteArray());
StAXSOAPModelBuilder stAXSOAPModelBuilder = new StAXSOAPModelBuilder(XMLInputFactory.newInstance().createXMLStreamReader(bais), null);

StAXSOAPModelBuilder throws the WSSecurityException because of the EBCDIC.

According to the W3C XML spec:

"In the absence of information provided by an external transport protocol (e.g. HTTP or MIME), it is a fatal error<http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/> for an entity including an encoding declaration to be presented to the XML processor in an encoding other than that named in the declaration, or for an entity which begins with neither a Byte Order Mark nor an encoding declaration to use an encoding other than UTF-8."

I am not using HTTP or MIME, etc.  Therefore, the encoding declaration should not be in EBCDIC at all.

I see no way around this problem unless there is some option or setting to prevent the behavior.  Has anyone seen this before and have a solution?