Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Helck, Christopher" <ch...@ebs.com> on 2005/05/17 22:57:32 UTC

Need help with struts dependency madness.

I am trying to set up maven to build a struts web application. The
programmer who developed it used the jar files included in the binary
release: things like common-beanutils.jar and jakarta-oro.jar. I would
prefer to use versioned jar files that I've grabbed from an official
repository. I took a look at the project.xml files used to build struts
and have been able to find most of the jar files. There are a few jar
files that are used multiple times in struts with different version
numbers. Since I don't really understand struts I don't know which to
use. There is also one jar file jakarta-oro.jar that I can not find in
any repository.

This process makes me nervous. It makes the programmer nervous because
I'm building with jars that he did not necessarly test with. What should
I do?

Also, where is jakarta-oro.jar?

Thanks,
Christopher Helck

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. This e-mail is intended only for the stated addressee.  If you are not an addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or rely on the information contained in this e-mail. if you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us immediately and delete it and all copies from your system.

EBS Dealing Resources International Limited. Registered address: 10 Paternoster Square, London EC4M 7DY, United Kingdom. Registered number 2669861.

EBS Dealing Resources, Inc, registered in Delaware. Address: 535 Madison Avenue, 24th Floor, New York, NY 10022, USA, and One upper Pond road, Building F - Floor 3, Parsippany, NJ 07054, USA.

EBS Dealing Resources Japan Limited, a Japanese Corporation. Address: Asteer Kayabacho Bldg, 6th Floor, 1-6-1, Shinkawa, Chuo-Ku,  Tokyo 104-0033, Japan.

Re: Need help with struts dependency madness.

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 4:57 PM -0400 5/17/05, Helck, Christopher wrote:
>I am trying to set up maven to build a struts web application. The
>programmer who developed it used the jar files included in the binary
>release: things like common-beanutils.jar and jakarta-oro.jar. I would
>prefer to use versioned jar files that I've grabbed from an official
>repository. I took a look at the project.xml files used to build struts
>and have been able to find most of the jar files. There are a few jar
>files that are used multiple times in struts with different version
>numbers. Since I don't really understand struts I don't know which to
>use. There is also one jar file jakarta-oro.jar that I can not find in
>any repository.
>
>This process makes me nervous. It makes the programmer nervous because
>I'm building with jars that he did not necessarly test with. What should
>I do?

Well, you can tell Maven to use specific jars not necessarily from a
repository, so you could just tell it to use the specific jars he
developed against.   Ultimately you have to weigh your preference for
standard Maven form against your need for comfort that the build is
using the dependencies which have had adequate QA performed.  If you
have time to do another round of QA after you formalize the
dependencies, that would obviously be best.

Struts has recently shifted its build to use Maven, so you may find
that the easiest way to get its dependencies is to copy from its
project.xml.  Here's for the recently released 1.2.7, but from here,
you should be able to find your way to other recent releases:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/struts/core/tags/STRUTS_1_2_7/project.xml?root=Apache-SVN&view=markup

Don't forget that if you copy dependencies from this file, you'll
probably want to add the "war.bundle=true" property to all of them.

>Also, where is jakarta-oro.jar?

http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/oro/jars/

Note that Struts' only run-time dependency on ORO is for the "mask"
validator.  If you don't use commons-validator based validation or if
you don't use the "mask" validator, then you can do without ORO.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com