Posted to wsrp4j-dev@portals.apache.org by Andrew Petro <an...@yale.edu> on 2005/11/14 17:53:25 UTC

logging in wsrp4j

What's the plan for logging in wsrp4j?

I note that wsrp4j includes its own logging API and implementation

org.apache.wsrp4j.commons.log.*

Is it the case that:

1) WSRP4j has special logging needs fulfilled by this custom logging API
such that it benefits from and should continue to maintain its own
logging API instead of using an off-the-shelf logging API (Commons
Logging or log4j directly).  The advantage of using the internal API is
the special features it provides.

2) WSRP4j has greatly reduced logging needs such that the flexibility
and power of something like Commons logging or log4j would be overkill.
The advantage of using the internal API is simplicity.

or

3) The project would benefit from moving to use Commons Logging
throughout, and progress on this ist waiting for someone interested in
making contributions of patches that accomplish this move.  The internal
API is currently used for legacy reasons -- i.e. it's what the code did
at some point in the past and it hasn't been changed.

Andrew

Re: logging in wsrp4j

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
The wsrp4j logging was one thing that was a little frustrating when I
worked with wsrp4j a few months ago.  In my day to day work
commons-logging + log4j is the logging architecture I work with most
often, and it is rare that I see anything but that -- so for me
commons-logging would have lowered the barrier to entry for wsrp4j.

I have installed Cocoon but haven't attempted to do much development
with it, so I have little to no experience with Avalon/Excalibur (Cocoon
just works, so I haven't needed to dig into it :)

I'd be willing to contribute cycles to moving towards commons-logging as
well.

Elliot

Re: logging in wsrp4j

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: logging in wsrp4j

Posted by Andrew Petro <an...@yale.edu>.
Carsten,

>the portal can simply implement the wsrp4j
>logging api and all the wsrp4j logging goes to the logging system of the
>portal.

I see your point, that the WSRP4j logging API is an integration API.

Suppose WSRP4j used commons logging.

Then the portal could implement a log4j logger backing commons logging
if it desires to receive the logging information from wsrp4j.

The same approach also works for other libraries the portal is using and
the libraries the wsrp4j code uses, depends upon (to the extent that
they use commons logging.)

Commonly, the desired "integration" of logging is to get the library's
logging to show up in the central portal log.  Under a "wsrp4j uses
Commons logging" approach, the same way I get the Springramework to log
to my portal's log would be the way I would get wsrp4j to log to my
portal's log.

If the portal has to implement / integrate with a logging API anyway,
it's not clear to me that integrating with a custom ad-hoc API is
preferable to integrating with a more general logging API.  Building the
bridge from log4j / commons logging to a portal's custom logging needs
is probably more valuable and reusable across libraries and included
frameworks than is building a new bridge for each dependency's custom
logging API.

WSRP4j using Commons Logging directly rather than its own API also
provides a more valuable baseline in the case where a particular portal
doesn't undertake special efforts to integrate with WSRP4j's logging.

>If we would move to let's say commons logging this would force
>the portal solution to use/configure commons logging as well.

I don't see the efficiency.  A portal has to integrate with some logging
API to integrate WSRP4j's logging into itself.  Why should a portal
developer be more pleased at doing so with a custom WSRP4j API than a
general one?  Figuring out how to configure and configuring wsrp4j's
logging isn't that different from figuring out how to configure and
configuring commons logging.

>As wsrp4j is a framework that has to be embedded somewhere else, it
>makes imho sense to have an own logging api to be more flexible.

Maybe.  A balance to be struck, perhaps, between the flexibility of an
ad-hoc integration logging API and the effieciency of just using an
existing API (with which a portal developer or deployer might already
have familiarity / developer plugins to use.)

Re: logging in wsrp4j

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.