Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com> on 2011/04/06 22:51:04 UTC

semantic version packages and bundles

Am I right to say that we don't need to change the package or bundle version
on the trunk even if we change apis, as the versions will be updated when we
do a release?
I am about to commiting some api changes and would like to make sure:).
--
Thanks
Emily

Re: semantic version packages and bundles

Posted by zoe slattery <zo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emily - you do need to change the package version but not the bundle
version. The policy is documented here
http://aries.apache.org/development/versionpolicy.html.

You need to make changes to teh package version that reflect whatever
changes you have made to the code. At release time the release manager
will use teh changes in package versions to determine the release bundle
version.

Zoe

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
On 8 April 2011 09:45, Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Felix. Agree. With the Aries versioning policy, it reduces the chance
> to bump
> versions too much.
>
> One question on the Aries version policy:
> In the versioning policy,
> http://aries.apache.org/development/versionpolicy.html
> , it states "*The version should relate to the most recent release of the
> package and not to the version found in trunk.*"  It will be good to have
> the release version as an comment in the package.info (or an automatically
> generated package version map per release) so that the developers can

It would be good if the scripts for updating the web site [1] at the
back end of the release process could do this automatically.

In general I think we should be making things easier for a) users of
Aries b) developers c) release managers in that order.

I think adding/updating a comment in the packageinfo file to indicate
the last released version lengthens the release process, the benefit
is making things easier for developers. A script to do this would be
good.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/aries/scripts

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emily,

Posted by Emily Jiang <em...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks you Zoe pointing me to the policy. It makes more sense and solves my
concern.

Thanks

--
Thanks