Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be> on 2003/09/21 22:59:38 UTC

[DBCP][Pool] Ready for release

The last release of DBCP & pool is almost a year old now. A new one is
long overdue.
Bugzilla has "Zarro Boogs found" and the threading changes are now
already a month in the nightly builds with no error reports.

There are always more enhancements to be done (logging, parameter
changes at runtime, XA support, pool grow rate, ...) but more and more
users are asking for a stable release and I think we're ready for it.

The plan is to vote on a release next weekend and the actual release a
few days later.

Please test the latest nightly build and report any problem. (or give a
positive vote on the release)

Regards
Dirk

Re: [DBCP][Pool] Ready for release

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.
> > The last release of DBCP & pool is almost a year old now. A new one is
> > long overdue.
> > Bugzilla has "Zarro Boogs found" and the threading changes are now
> > already a month in the nightly builds with no error reports.
> >
> > There are always more enhancements to be done (logging, parameter
> > changes at runtime, XA support, pool grow rate, ...) but more and more
> > users are asking for a stable release and I think we're ready for it.
> >
> > The plan is to vote on a release next weekend and the actual release a
> > few days later.
> >
> > Please test the latest nightly build and report any problem. (or give a
> > positive vote on the release)
>
> I haven't tested it yet. If you could put out a RC, I could package it
> with future Tomcat 5.0.x builds, which should get help the new DBCP get
> some testing.
> It would be especially useful to get a new DBCP release before Tomcat
> 5.0.x gets stable, so that many users can get the bugfixes.

Torque is actually dependent on a nightly of DBCP.  I'm sure it would be
better to be dependent on a release candidate :)

Posted by Sgarlata Matt <sg...@bah.com>.

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Dirk Verbeeck wrote:
>
>> The last release of DBCP & pool is almost a year old now. A new one
>> is long overdue.
>> Bugzilla has "Zarro Boogs found" and the threading changes are now
>> already a month in the nightly builds with no error reports.
>>
>> There are always more enhancements to be done (logging, parameter
>> changes at runtime, XA support, pool grow rate, ...) but more and
>> more users are asking for a stable release and I think we're ready
>> for it.
>>
>> The plan is to vote on a release next weekend and the actual release
>> a few days later.
>>
>> Please test the latest nightly build and report any problem. (or give
>> a positive vote on the release)
>

> I haven't tested it yet. If you could put out a RC, I could package it
> with future Tomcat 5.0.x builds, which should get help the new DBCP
> get some testing.
> It would be especially useful to get a new DBCP release before Tomcat
> 5.0.x gets stable, so that many users can get the bugfixes.
>
> Remy

Great, I have re-read the release instructions and it also recommends
also to make a release candidate (and some administration as well).
I first wanted to do an alfa/beta/final vote but a RC packaged with
Tomcat will be more usefull.

Now for the hard part, writing release notes for almost a year's worth
of  changes ;-)

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.