Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Sheehan <to...@csi.com> on 2003/04/10 01:10:47 UTC

Trouble shooting Servlet Installation:

I need help understanding how to troubleshoot a faulty installation of a
servlet.  Details are provided below, but the bottom line is that the
servlet runs on one machine, and not another.  I get the following message:

HTTP Status 404 - /servlet/upload.handler

I wrote a servlet using Netbeans.  For those that might not be familiar with
that, they've integrated an installation of Tomcat 4.0.4 into the IDE for
testing purposes.  The servlet in question operates correctly with the
Netbeans integration running on a Win2k, Pro box. I then create a .war file
and upload it to Linux 7.3 box with Tomcat 4.1.18.

The war file installation is to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps.  After restarting
tomat, the war file appears to expand correctly.  Invocation of the servlet
is from a straight html page's form action:

<FORM ACTION="/servlet/upload.handler"
           ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data"
           METHOD="POST">

Here are the web-app and servlet-mapping tags from web.xml:
<web-app>
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>handler</servlet-name>
    <display-name>http Upload Handler</display-name>
    <description>Proof-of-Concept: Accept a client upload file and meta
data</description>
    <servlet-class>upload.handler</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
            <param-value>DEBUG</param-value>
        </init-param>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>handler</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/servlet/upload.handler</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

Finally, I believe I've added the same dependency jar files to /common/lib
to get this to run on both machines.

Help would be appreciated.  I've spent a lot of time on this, and do not see
cause and effect at work here.

Tom Sheehan