Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mytho Logic <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/10 05:40:42 UTC

Need help to load test an application for 2500 Concurrent users

Hi,

I am new in Jmeter and facing problem while load testing my web application.

I am using jmeter version 2.3.2 for my project.

I have created a test plan of using 4 thread groups and 280 concurrent
threads.

-----

-Test plan

 - synchronize Timer (set 280 threads)

 - Thread Group (users = 90, ramp-up periord = 0)

    a. this thread group hs 12 sample requests

 - Thread Group (users = 90, ramp-up periord = 0)

    a. this thread group hs 12 sample requests

 - Thread Group (users = 50, ramp-up periord = 0)

    a. this thread group hs 12 sample requests

- Thread Group (users = 50, ramp-up periord = 0)

    a. this thread group hs 12 sample requests

 - View Results tree

 - View Results in table

 - Aggregate reports

-----

12 sample requests are ->

 1. HIt the home page of an web application

 2. Click on a product tab. http request to open the corresponding product
page

3. The product page has 9 products images. Those images have URL

4. 1-9 http requests for p product images

5. http request for a product detail page

For few sample requests I got the below exception.

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method) at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:333) at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:195) at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:182) at
java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:519) at
java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:469) at
sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:157) at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:382) at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:494) at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.(HttpClient.java:231) at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:304) at
sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:316) at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLConnection.java:817)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:769)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:694)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler.sample(HTTPSampler.java:431)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:1021)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBase.java:1007)
at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:290) at
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Questions-

1.       What is this exception means and how can I resolve my problem?

2.       I need to do load test my web application for 2500 Concurrent
users. Currently what I’m doing is this is the correct approach? Concurrent
means all 2500 Users will hit the home page http request at the same
time.Once the ist sample request is completed then it wil proceed to the
next http sample request.

This is an urgent  requirement for my project.

Thanks

Maumita

Re: Need help to load test an application for 2500 Concurrent users

Posted by Ducklin <ho...@gmail.com>.
In case you tried all the above but your machine still cannot handle the
load, I suggest running JMeter from the cloud. You can use
http://www.cloud-intelligence.com/applications/jmeter/about
http://www.cloud-intelligence.com/applications/jmeter/about  to run your
JMeter script, monitor and download its' results and logs at any time

Re: Need help to load test an application for 2500 Concurrent users

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 10/09/2009, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>  a. In most cases you wont be able to run 2500 users from a single machine ,
>  so you should run multiple instances of jmeter or run it as distributed
>  b. ConnectException is just that, the server refused your connection. There
>  may be multiple reasons why this can be caused and all of them are
>  application server/os specific. Your server probably cant handle the number
>  of threads you have concurrently. You need to check your server

All good points.

>  Unrelated Suggestions
>  upgrade to 2.3.4
>  You probably shouldnt have view results tree , you might run out of
>  memory..

Same applies to the Table and Aggregate Listeners, they also both need
to save data for each response.

> For large tests you should probably run in command line with all
>  listeners disabled

And use CSV format output or the JTL file will be huge.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
a. In most cases you wont be able to run 2500 users from a single machine ,
so you should run multiple instances of jmeter or run it as distributed
b. ConnectException is just that, the server refused your connection. There
may be multiple reasons why this can be caused and all of them are
application server/os specific. Your server probably cant handle the number
of threads you have concurrently. You need to check your server

Unrelated Suggestions
upgrade to 2.3.4
You probably shouldnt have view results tree , you might run out of
memory..For large tests you should probably run in command line with all
listeners disabled