Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Bing Jiang <ji...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/26 08:28:21 UTC

【data migrate from hdfs0.20.* to hdfs-2.0.5(HA)】

hi,all

Have you tried to find out a way to make data transformation between two
hdfs cluster, which are the different version.

In our environment, one data in 0.20.*, and we want to migrate into
2.0.5(HA).

I try to use distcp, but it occurs to rpc version dismatch.

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: Server IPC version 8 cannot
> communicate with client version 4

Could anyone give me an efficient way to make it?

Thanks.

--
Bing Jiang
weibo: http://weibo.com/jiangbinglover

RE: 【data migrate from hdfs0.20.* to hdfs-2.0.5(HA)】

Posted by Vinayakumar B <vi...@huawei.com>.
Upgrade needs to be done in two phases.

1.       Upgrade the data to 2.0.5 (Non-HA)

a.       Just install the 2.0.5 Hadoop NonHA cluster by pointing to old Name dir and data dirs and start the cluster with ./start-dfs.sh -upgrade

b.      Verify the upgraded data.

c.       Once the upgrade is fine, then finalize the upgrade by calling ./hdfs dfsadmin –finalizeUpgrade

d.      After finalizing stop the cluster

2.       Migrating cluster to HA

a.       Now install one more NameNode and zookeeper for HA and update the configurations in all other machines for HA

b.      Call ./hdfs namenode –initializeSharedEdits to initialize the shared storage

c.       Start the previous NameNode first along with ZKFC and let it become active.

d.      Call ./hdfs namenode –bootstrapStandby from the new Namenode. This will copy the data from previous namenode.

e.      After this start namenode and zkfc in new machine.

f.        Start all  datanodes.

Hope this solves your issue.

Regards,
Vinayakumar B