Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Michael Jurke <ju...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> on 2010/06/09 12:30:15 UTC

Generate AWT shapes

Hi,

with the SVGShape utility class I can generate SVGElements from AWT shapes.
Is there also a possibility to traverse an SVGDocument, generate and
iterate through the shapes? (and ignore other elements or rather print
some debug info) For sure GVTTreeBuilder can be used somehow - anyone
has an idea or examples?

And is there also a possibilty to generade a Shape from a single
SVGElement? How and how are children handled?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Michael

Re: Generate AWT shapes

Posted by th...@kodak.com.
Hi Micahel,

Michael Jurke <ju...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote on 06/09/2010 06:30:15 AM:

> with the SVGShape utility class I can generate SVGElements from AWT
shapes.
> Is there also a possibility to traverse an SVGDocument, generate and
> iterate through the shapes? (and ignore other elements or rather print
> some debug info) For sure GVTTreeBuilder can be used somehow - anyone
> has an idea or examples?

        This is the primary purpose of the entire Bridge and GVT packages
in Batik.  You can take a look at the 'Boot SVG and CSS DOM' on the wiki:
        http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-batik/BootSvgAndCssDom

> And is there also a possibilty to generade a Shape from a single
> SVGElement? How and how are children handled?

        Simple SVG shapes become a ShapeNode in the GVT, groups become
a CompositeGraphicsNode.  You can walk that tree and do whatever you
want.

> Any ideas or suggestions?

        Such a simple approach will miss things like 'filters', the
semantics of 'use' elements, 'image' elements, etc.  Also of course
dynamic content.

        Good luck.