Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Kasun Siriwardhana <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/13 04:15:13 UTC

Regarding a Project Idea for Gsoc 2012

Hello devs,

I am Kasun Pinsara, an undergraduate in University University of Colombo
Sri Lanka. I have an idea of involving Google Summer of Code 2012
[GSOC-2012] <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012> .
I am interested in Apache OFBiz project and would like to work with the
team and gain a good experience. I have some experience in working with
software development with open source
technologies(java,maven,ant,spring,Struts,svn, tomcat etc). If there are
any project ideas for the program please give me some help. So that I can
focus more and submit a good proposal for the GOSC program. It would be a
great support for me.

Best Regards,
Kasun Pinsara

Re: Regarding a Project Idea for Gsoc 2012

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 18/03/2012 09:21, Kasun Siriwardhana a écrit :
> Hi jacopo,
>
> Thanks for you suggestions. Basically here I thought we need to identify
> the test cases we need to cover. I mean there can be several types.May be
>   some validations should complete the entire flow(For an example grab the
> user credential from the db and then assert the loging , static content
> test , Ajax testing ) . And also I need to know whether there may be a
> sauceLabs integration or not.

no saucelabs integration.

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Re: Regarding a Project Idea for Gsoc 2012

Posted by Kasun Siriwardhana <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi jacopo,

Thanks for you suggestions. Basically here I thought we need to identify
the test cases we need to cover. I mean there can be several types.May be
 some validations should complete the entire flow(For an example grab the
user credential from the db and then assert the loging , static content
test , Ajax testing ) . And also I need to know whether there may be a
sauceLabs integration or not.

Thanks Kasun

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
In my opinion it would be better to design the component as an independent piece of code containing:
* all the jars that are required for Selenium
* an ant script to run the tests (it would be nice to dynamically retrieve the tests to run from the implementationinstead of having to add configuration for each of them)
* a configuration file (or mechanism) to select the Driver at runtime, the url of the server etc...
* a folder containing all the automated tests available for OFBiz, categorized in some way: in my opinion, in several occasions, each functional test may span over more than one OFBiz application so it doesn't necessarily make sense to have tests split by component

In this way it will be very easy to add new tests without touching the configuration files of ootb (or custom) components: it will be an external application.

Jacopo

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Kasun Siriwardhana <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erwan,

*Thanks for the reply. I had a look in to that jira issue. Does it says to
write integration tests for entire application ? *
*I would like to know other possibility of  this ofbiz product. For an
example a new feature implementation . Now I am going through the
documentations on the site.*
*
*

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.