Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Nutsch, Bob D." <bn...@nd.gov> on 2011/04/21 22:37:34 UTC

Definition of Sample as used in Graph Results

Hello,

I'm hoping someone could define for me what is meant by "Sample" on the Graph Results listener?  I haven't been able to find a definition though I believe it has to do with the number of executions of the test but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Regards, Bob

Bob Nutsch
GIS Coordinator
State of North Dakota
Phone: (701) 328-3212
bnutsch@nd.gov<ma...@nd.gov>
Twitter:  @BobNutsch
www.nd.gov/gis<http://www.nd.gov/gis>
NDGIS Users Conference Oct. 11-13, 2011 !!

RE: Definition of Sample as used in Graph Results

Posted by "Nutsch, Bob D." <bn...@nd.gov>.
Hello,

Thank you very much for your email, it's much appreciated!  I plan to try http://code.google.com/p/jmeter-plugins/wiki/TransactionsPerSecond, thanks for sending me that.

I'll use the Graph Results listener for now until I get a chance to try the other listener.  I am making multiple HTTP client requests within two separate thread groups, each looping 3 times, in my test.  When I graph the results I see something like 5000 milliseconds per request when the number of samples shows 1000 and there are 60 threads.  As time goes on I hit the maximum number of threads that I had set but the time per request continues to increases as does the number of samples.

To map my results to the "real world" I'm thinking that if JMeter is showing 60 threads, 1000 samples, and 5000 milliseconds per request, JMeter is effectively emulating 60 people collectively and concurrently making 1000 HTTP requests per 5 seconds?  After a few moments, if JMeter is still showing 60 threads but now 1500 samples and 6000 milliseconds per request, that is an emulation of 60 users now making 1500 HTTP requests per 6 seconds?

Thanks for your time.

Regards, Bob