Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be> on 2011/02/06 00:18:15 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1067533 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BlockStackingLayoutManager.java

On 05 Feb 2011, at 22:49, adelmelle@apache.org wrote:

> Author: adelmelle
> Date: Sat Feb  5 21:49:58 2011
> New Revision: 1067533

> Log:
> Code cleanup
>
> Modified:
>    xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BlockStackingLayoutManager.java

In preparation of decommissioning its StackingIter, I noticed I had some minor cleanups ready for this class. Checking closer, the code was still way too messy for my taste, so I went further --and further... Quite far, actually, so a bit of explanation needed in case someone goes looking for code that I removed.

I noticed there was quite a lot of code that, in fact, was never, ever used. It seemed like an experiment from Luca, that likely should have been kept in a branch instead of being committed to the trunk in an incomplete state. All it did here was confuse people, in a class which is quite heavily used.
I first spent quite some time cleaning up commented log.debug() statements in the method createUnitElements(), then decided to check where the method was called, and found it was only used in one place, in getChangedKnuthElements():

> -/* estensione: conversione complessiva */
> -/*LF*/  if (bpUnit > 0) {
> -/*LF*/      storedList = returnedList;
> -/*LF*/      returnedList = createUnitElements(returnedList);
> -/*LF*/  }

Now, that bpUnit member is written *only* in BlockLayoutManager and BlockContainerLayoutManager, where it is set to 0 in the initialize() method. In effect, the method was unused, so I decided to bite the bullet and remove it.

Additionally, given the above, I have also removed similar references to this bpUnit member in other places, which eliminates some conditional branches. I have not yet removed the variable itself, since it is still read in a few subclasses.

Regards,

Andreas
---

Re: svn commit: r1067533 - /xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BlockStackingLayoutManager.java

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to second Simon's comments, very unselfish and good work Andreas.

Adrian.

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.