Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Zachary Brown <za...@zacbrown.org> on 2009/03/27 17:06:48 UTC

Possible Mentorship for Student Developer?

Hi All,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Zac Brown, a student at the
University of Miami and open source contributor. I'm coming up on my
senior year in university (Fall '09/Spring '10) and am interested in
spending time working on CouchDB to round out my time at the
University to fill requirements for my Computer Science degree.

I wanted to ask if any of the main developers would be at all
interested in providing some lightweight mentoring of myself in order
to guide my (possible) work on the project? The courses I would be
enrolled in to obtain credit require some sort of 'supervisor' or
'mentor' in this case to be affiliated with the project for me to get
credit.

============== If you're not interested, just move on, the rest is
marketing fluff ;) ===============

*Small Bio*
I've spent time working on the Wine Project, GNU PDF and have spent a
little time trouble shooting for the JRuby project. Most of my work
has been in C, Python & Ruby though I have worked a bit in Erlang. I
interned with Google last summer (mostly doing Wine work) and will be
interning with Microsoft this summer on the Windows 7 team.

*What this Mentorship Would Not Be*
1) you teaching sessions
2) me piggy backing on your work
3) you spending more than the length of time it takes to have a
conversation or write an email

*What this Mentorship Would Be*
1) me asking questions about the work I'm doing (whatever it might be)
2) me periodically asking for code reviews (maybe from you, or others)

*What I'd like to get out of this*
I really just want to spend time hacking on something interesting
instead of the usual classes I've done for the last 3 years of
college. There isn't a good course on distributed systems here and I'm
a big fan of the "learn by doing" paradigm. In this respect, CouchDB
makes sense to me for learning more about distributed systems and I'd
really just like to learn more Erlang.

Think of it as Google Summer of Code but instead Zac's Semesters of
Code. I will be spending this summer getting more familiar with the
project code base and refreshing my Erlang skills so that I'll
actually be able to get things done by the time Fall 2009 rolls around.

*The End*
If you've made it this far, I commend you. Maybe you think this is
interesting or maybe you're just bored, I'm hoping the first.
If anyone would be interested in this, just drop a line in this thread
or send me an email privately.

Thanks,

Zac Brown
zac@zacbrown.org