Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Penberthy, Bill" <BP...@IQNavigator.com> on 2001/05/09 16:54:38 UTC

Developing on a different platform from production

Generally, we try to to develop and test on the same platforms (Solaris)
that we will be deploying on - but I am curious as to whether that is really
necessary.  Has anyone ran into issues of developing and testing on one
platform and deploying on another?  I would like to put some Linux machines
out there (a bit cheaper...) for development and testing - but am wondering
if this could cause problems as we deploy onto the Sunboxes.  Your thoughts,
experiences, and comments would be welcome.

Thanks!

Bill Penberthy
Sr. Functional Architect
IQNavigator

Re: Developing on a different platform from production

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@us-rx.com>.
It depends on what you mean by 'test'. If you are doing load testing,
then obviously this will not do as the platform and OS can dictate
performance. Also, there are differing problems in the jdks based on
platform: Sun jdk w/Hotspot has had some problems lately which do not
crop up on the other jdks (Sun's jdk is usually ahead of Linux's, or so
I have noticed. 1.3 was in beta well after 1.3 was released for Sun).

However, if you are just talking about functional testing, I think going
to a Linux box is Ok.

Btw, have you seen the new Netra series of Sun boxes? They are damn
cheap and may be an alternative to Linux. I myself suport a web app that
runs on Linux is production but will move to a Linux/Sun load balanced
solution soon.

Ben Ricker
System Administrator
Wellinx.com

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Dick Poon wrote:

> Me too, I do the development on Window and going to deploy it on Linux:-).

Hm.. that's interesting; I do the other way around.
Try Gnome, you'd love Linux on your desktop.

Oki

Re: Developing on a different platform from production

Posted by Dick Poon <di...@javacatz.com>.
Me too, I do the development on Window and going to deploy it on Linux:-).

Dick
Posted by Benoit Jacquemont <be...@smile.fr>.
Hi Bill,