Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/02/10 23:49:58 UTC

[POLL] Retire Apache Flex Installer for Linux

Hi Folks,

To install Apache Flex SDK 4.11, we finally made available an Apache Flex
Installer for Linux.

However, we received feedback that, because the Installer is an Adobe AIR
app, it is problematic for Linux users to have to install AIR first then
Install the Installer before installing the Apache Flex SDK.

For Apache Flex SDK 4.12, we have created Apache Ant scripts that can do
the install as well.  Feedback from one person who tried it is that it is
so much easier, we no longer need an Linux version of the Apache Flex
Installer.  One other person following the dev@ mailing list agreed.

Creating an Installer for Linux is a bit of a pain.  It uses the same code
base, but an older version of AIR and requires someone with a Linux setup
to build it, so it would be nice to be able to go back to just having
Installers for Mac and Windows.  However, this is your chance to voice
objections if you think we should maintain a Installer for Linux.

Speak now before it's too late... ;-)

-Alex

Re: [POLL] Retire Apache Flex Installer for Linux

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 11/02/2014 01:38, Mathieu St-Gelais wrote:
> So I'd say yes to this proposition. If there are ant scripts, that's great.
> I would only add that the documentation on how to use those scripts should
> be easily reachable/available from the Flex SDK Installer Web page, so
That's certainly an area I'll improve on if we do retire it. I update
the installer page to point at updated Wiki instructions about a month
ago, and would image we'll place a three line version of the Ant
instructions next to the AIR badge in future.

Tom

Re: [POLL] Retire Apache Flex Installer for Linux

Posted by Mathieu St-Gelais <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm also a Linux user, but because of the limitations of AIR on Linux, I
end up working on a Windows 7 VM. I made the installer work perfectly on
Linux, but I do not use it in the end. Developing mobile apps on Linux is
still almost impossible as they are AIR apps...

So I'd say yes to this proposition. If there are ant scripts, that's great.
I would only add that the documentation on how to use those scripts should
be easily reachable/available from the Flex SDK Installer Web page, so
Linux people don't have to go through tons of documentation only to give a
try. My two cents.

Thanks for reading me.

Mathieu

Posted by Sean Thayne <se...@skyseek.com>.