Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Svetlin Zarev <sv...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/10 11:08:16 UTC

[PR] TOMEE-2087 IvmContext.list() does not correctly list the context content

Hi,

I'd like to propose the following fix: [1]. It fixes
IvmContext.list()/listBindings(). There are several issues that are being
addressed:

* MyNamingEnumeration.gatherNodes() adds the wrong federated context
entries in the result set. It should add the nodes belonging to the
"initiallyRequestedNode", otherwise in some cases we are adding nodes from
two different parents (in other words we are mixing two different
sub-contexts), which is incorrect.

* MyNamingEnumeration.isMyChild() considers entries that are NOT children
to the "parent" tree as such - the original code was using "parentTree", to
check if a given node is a child to another one, which is wrong. The
"parentTree" relationship indicates only the physical layout of the tree,
and NOT the relationship between the sub-contexts and their entries. Hence
it considers for instance "java:global" to be a child of "java:module"
which is obviously incorrect. The relationship between a context and the
bound entries is denoted by the "parent" node. So when listing a context
isMyChild should rely only on the "parent" node. There is one exception -
the top level contexts (app, global, etc) which do not have a parent.

* Wrong parentNode is passed as argument to gatherNodes in case we are
listing the context for any "IvmContext != this. When we call
IvmContext.list(), it looks up the relevant IvmContext and tries to build a
NamingEnumeration for its sub-tree. So far so good, but the looked up
context might be different than the context on which we called list(). If
that's the case, the wrong NameNode is passed as "parent" to gatherNodes()
and as a result some nodes are not listed.

PS: This issue is relevant for tomee 1.7.x as well. i noticed it does not
correctly list the naming tree as well. It also does not list the federated
contexts which was implemented in  [3].

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/88
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-2087
[3] https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/81

Best regards,
Svetlin

Re: [PR] TOMEE-2087 IvmContext.list() does not correctly list the context content

Posted by Svetlin Zarev <sv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

> Sveltin, if you’re up for it I can probably use this as an excuse to pull
some Arquillian devs over for some fun hacking :)

I'm not that knowledgeable in Arquillian, but I'll help with whatever I can
:)

> I also say +1.  I’d love to see the layers thinned out of the Arquillian
test, but this could be done in another PR

I removed the servlet, maybe I can remove the bean as well. It's not needed
as long as the test is executed against the IvmContext.

Kind regards,
Svetlin

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
looks good to apply to me

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Svetlin Zarev <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Svetlin Zarev <sv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Svetlin Zarev <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Svetlin!

This is an awesome catch.  Also, my apologies for the time you had to spend in that code.  It literally hasn’t changed much since 1999/2000 and it shows. :)

[...]

On the last one I noted the patched code mentions Tomcat, so maybe it does have to be Arquillian based.  If so, maybe we could still trim out some of those layers.  I think Arquillian has the ability to execute remote code, so we could potentially skip the plumbing of the test->servlet->ejb.