Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Onur Ağın <on...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/07 13:32:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Load balancer sending request when server starts and gets ready

Hi,

I am using apache 2.2 as load balancer in front of 2 tomcat servers.
I notice that when I restart a tomcat server, when a new request comes to
apache, it directs the request to the tomcat server before the application
goes up and the user has to wait until the server gets up.
Probably when it sees that http port is up, apache routes the requests.
Is there a way to tell apache to wait until the application goes up
(something like make it poll a control page or tell apache to wait 60
seconds when a new server starts )?

Thanks.

RE: [users@httpd] Load balancer sending request when server starts and gets ready

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@six-group.com>.
________________________________

	I am using apache 2.2 as load balancer in front of 2 tomcat
servers.
	I notice that when I restart a tomcat server, when a new request
comes to apache, it directs the request to the tomcat server before the
application goes up and the user has to wait until the server gets up.
	Probably when it sees that http port is up, apache routes the
requests.
	Is there a way to tell apache to wait until the application goes
up (something like make it poll a control page or tell apache to wait 60
seconds when a new server starts )?

	Thanks.?
________________________________

I think you've described what's happening pretty well.. However, I had a
look at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass
and there are a few parameters that you can tweak that might do
something. Look especially at "ping" and "status".

If you do figure something out, please post back the solution as I (and
others, I'm sure) would be interested to know.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message.
The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.