Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org> on 2019/02/08 08:46:26 UTC

Re: Suitable project name search (was: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava)

Hi Antoine,

First of all: thank you for the LinkedIn accept.

More information about the PNS (Podling Name Search) can be found via [1].

After having yourself familiarised with that, I suggest to register a JIRA
ticket with project 'PODLING NAME SEARCH' for the new project name, see
[2]. I
 also suggest to browse through a few of the open tickets to get a gist of
what steps to take.

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008*

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
And building awareness, reputation and community around something is quite a lot of work.
So If you start a new podling and work hard on promoting it, it would be a shame having to rename that and effectively loose all promotional results you might have had.
I would also strongly suggest to do the Name-Search first, even if you're not required to.

Chris

Am 11.02.19, 09:48 schrieb "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com>:

    Hi,

    A name search is not needed before going the incubator, however changing a project name does have a cost both infra wise and community wise, so it be to come up with a name that likely be unique in project the project does.

    Thanks,
    Justin

Re: Suitable project name search (was: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name>.
Thanks Pierre. Sorry, I was trying to spare myself looking ignorant, and I ended up breaking public comms.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll proceed.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
Hi Antoine,

allow other Apache contributors to chime in (maybe even faster than I am).