Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk> on 2018/03/27 08:18:54 UTC

Failover for VMs

After 3 weeks of trying multiple different setups I still have not managed to get a VM to failover between compute nodes and am just running out of ideas.

I have 3 compute nodes each with 3 NICS (management, VMs traffic, storage), one management node with just a single NIC connection in the management network and a separate NFS server.

I have tried with and without the new Host HA KVM in CS v4.11 as from what I have read even without enabling the new Host HA KVM when you power off or reboot a compute node your VMs should still migrate.

I have tried powering off a compute node, pulling the power lead, removing the management and NFS network cables and the management server just seems to carry on as if nothing has happened.

Could someone explain exactly how HA is meant to work so I can look at where it is going wrong.

Re: Failover for VMs

Posted by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Paul

I did some more testing today and am not sure what some of the states mean.

The first test was the easiest ie. "echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger" which crashes the server.  In my setup the VMs on the crashed node never migrate because the server is rebooted and it comes backup before CS tries to migrate any servers.  It takes approx 4 mins for server to recover.

The next tests were by doing a hard reset on the server and then modifying timers -

I did 4 tests and the quickest I got the VMs to failover was approx  5 and half minutes (see below for test details).

So I have two questions really from all this -

1) why does it go from Suspect to Degraded and back to Suspect once I started changing timers.  According to the docs Degraded means a successful activity check but the server was down so it can't have passed. And noticeably without modifying any timers it never goes to Degraded at all.

2) what is a sensible fail over time in your experience ie. what in your experience is a reasonable failover time ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tests -

1)  default timers -

0:00 Suspect
9:00 recovery/Fenced
10:15 VM migrated

2)  kvm.ha.activity.check.max.attempts  3 (default = 10)

0:00 Suspect
2:00 Degraded
7:00 Suspect
9:00 Recovery/Fenced
10:20 VM migrated

3)  kvm.ha.activity.check.max.attempts 3  (default = 10)
     kvm.ha.degraded.max.period         120 seconds (default = 300)

0:00 Suspect
2:00 Degraded
4:00 Suspect
6:00 Checking/Fenced
7:21 VM migrated

4)   kvm.ha.activity.check.max.attempts 3  (default = 10)
      kvm.ha.degraded.max.period         120 seconds (default = 300)
      kvm.ha.activity.check.interval     30 seconds (default = 60)

0:00 Suspect
1:10 Degraded
3:10 Suspect
4:20 Recovering/Fenced
5:30 VM migrated

________________________________

@shapeblue

paul.angus@shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Failover for VMs

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Ah.

paul.angus@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

Re: Failover for VMs

Posted by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
Ok, significant progress made with this and have got Host HA KVM failover working for a number of different scenarios.

Will update this thread with tests run etc. and pick up after Easter as suggested by Paul.

________________________________
I am just updating as I continue testing -

When i pulled the power lead as discussed below it goes from Suspect to Fencing but never gets to Fenced.  But when I put the power lead back in to the server CS almost immediately puts that server into maintenance mode and then does migrate t
ot sure of the logic but at least I got to see a VM failover
_______________________________

Re: Failover for VMs

Posted by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk>.
I am just updating as I continue testing -

When i pulled the power lead as discussed below it goes from Suspect to Fencing but never gets to Fenced.  But when I put the power lead back in to the server CS almost immediately puts that server into maintenance mode and then does migrate the VM.

Not sure of the logic but at least I got to see a VM failover :)

Re: Failover for VMs

Re: Failover for VMs

Posted by Jon Marshall <jm...@hotmail.co.uk>.

RE: Failover for VMs