Posted to sanselan-dev@incubator.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/09/14 21:24:07 UTC

Ready...Set...

Go.

The Sanselan project is now open for business. We have a repository,
a mailing list, and a jira. What else is needed?

The code grant is being reviewed and the non-Apache committers' ids
are being set up. So what can we do before the code grant is approved
and the code arrives? Just a bit of planning.

If you have the time, please take a look at the structure of other
projects. Some top level issues:

Where do we want the Sanselan site to live? We could use Confluence
for both our wiki and site and get some usability and productivity
gains.

What should the structure of the repository be? Some projects use a
structure that has at the top level trunk, branches, tags, and board.
Within trunk, some projects have sub-projects, each of which builds a
separate jar file.

What build structure do we want? Sanselan is a relatively small
project but still, it might be nice to use maven as a build tool to
make it easy for users to deploy and make it easy for sanselan
developers to publish.

Regards,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
I'm going to follow Craig's suggestion and propose a structure with a
patch this weekend.

Charles.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hello everyone,

finally dropping in myself. I've been on holidays until now.

On 01.10.2007 02:25:08 Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>   I believe we've agreed on Maven.

As Carsten can guess I'm not thrilled about that but won't object. It's
just that I have very little patience in case Maven causes me to lose a
lot of time again because it's unstable and pops up a different error
message each time you run it. But that was on Cocoon which is much more
complex. We'll see what happens.

>   Have we settled on emulating the project structure of Jackrabbit?

I'm fine with that.

>   Also, does anyone see a reason to use sub-projects?

Not at the moment. Also, I don't think it makes much sense to split into
api and impl since there won't likely be more than one implementation of
the API. If that still happens it's easy to take them apart. A possible
adapter package to plug Sanselan into ImageIO might make a better
candidate for a separate module.

FYI, in the next few months I'll be refactoring the whole image support
in FOP which I will take as an opportunity to add a plug-in for Sanselan.
That way we can make sure the library has at least one more customer.

Another point: Currently Sanselan requires Java 1.4 according to the
website. I'd like that to remain so for the time being in order to
maximize the number of possible users.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:
>

> No, and in fact there isn't always a need for a formal vote if there is
> consensus. The question is how to gauge consensus, and sometimes the
> easiest way to gauge it is to have a vote. If there is a vote on
> process, majority rules. Not everyone has to vote.

Yes, there is always a thin line here, we have votes, lazy consensus,
commit-then-review etc. Now, if the person who does something/wants to
do something, thinks that its just a small thing (simple patch, bug fix
etc), she commits. With the peer review by other committers, possible
problems can be detected and will be fixed either by reverting or
adapting - that's not a big issue usually (if things are handled in a
friendly manner)
If you think that its more a substantial thing, a vote is better. A vote
can either be a "real vote" which means majority rules, or lazy
consensus applies which means if noone objects, you can go ahead. This
is usually done by sending an email to this list like "I want to do xyz.
If noone objects I'll do the changes tomorrow" etc. Of course, you
should give people enough time to think about the changes. :)

How these things are handled often vary from community to community. If
the community has a long experience and people know each other for
years, there are usually less votes. If a community is new, like we are,
its probably better to discuss things more often and call for votes. We
can then see how this works over time and adapt.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Sep 30, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

>>>    Second, I've replaced the headers of all of the source files with
>>> the standard Apache header including the Apache license info.
>>> So, the
>>> code is ready to commit once the code grant is approved.
>>
>> The code grant is just part of the incubation process, so as soon as
>> we figure out where it goes, you can check it in. The more important
>> thing is the structure of the repository. Since we've discussed maven
>> and jackrabbit as a model for the repository, just agreement of where
>> to put the code is sufficient now.

>> For now, let's focus on getting the code into the repo and get some
>> builds done to replicate what is available outside Apache so the
>> community can start to migrate to using the Apache builds.
>>
>> Craig
>
>   I believe we've agreed on Maven.

I've heard no dissent.

>   Have we settled on emulating the project structure of Jackrabbit?

I think so. To double check, you could always build the sanselan
structure as you would model Jackrabbit, create a patch using svn and
everyone could take a look.

>   Also, does anyone see a reason to use sub-projects?

Not from my perspective.

Craig

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Charles,

On Sep 22, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Charles Matthew Chen wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    Being entirely new to the Apache community, I have a few process
> questions.
>
>    First, when we vote on questions such as using Confluence & Maven,
> must all of the committers vote?

No, and in fact there isn't always a need for a formal vote if there
is consensus. The question is how to gauge consensus, and sometimes
the easiest way to gauge it is to have a vote. If there is a vote on
process, majority rules. Not everyone has to vote.

By the way, we now have a Confluence repository that automatically
creates our web site. Probably everyone has seen it by now. http://
cwiki.apache.org/SANSELAN/

>    Second, I've replaced the headers of all of the source files with
> the standard Apache header including the Apache license info.  So, the
> code is ready to commit once the code grant is approved.

The code grant is just part of the incubation process, so as soon as
we figure out where it goes, you can check it in. The more important
thing is the structure of the repository. Since we've discussed maven
and jackrabbit as a model for the repository, just agreement of where
to put the code is sufficient now.

>    In the meantime, I'm going to continue work on the project.  This
> raises a question of process.  How are new directions for the project
> decided upon?  By that, I mean decisions that are more significant
> than small patches.  Is there a guideline for what needs to be voted
> upon?

I think you've hit on it. "More significant than small patches."
We've discussed maven and the structure of the repository already.
Other decisions should be discussed on this alias and then move forward.

If you have something that you think needs discussion, raise it on
this list as a proposal. In the beginning, there might not be much
discussion but over time with more community, more discussion.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Charles Matthew Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Philipp,

On Sep 16, 2007, at 6:21 AM, Philipp Koch wrote:

>> Where do we want the Sanselan site to live? We could use Confluence
>> for both our wiki and site and get some usability and productivity
>> gains.
> i heard(e.g. felix project) that confluence seems to be quite good,
> but do not know it yet in detail.

The biggest advantage of Confluence is that once it's set up, it's
really easy to publish changes. On the other hand, I don't know
enough to set it up, although our friends at infra have experience.

>> What should the structure of the repository be? Some projects use a
>> structure that has at the top level trunk, branches, tags, and board.
>> Within trunk, some projects have sub-projects, each of which builds a
>> separate jar file.
> i only know the jackrabbit project in more detail and i think that
> structure is quite nice. what do others think?

I like the jackrabbit structure. It has trunk, site, branches, and
tags, which are pretty standard for Apache projects. Others can look
at the structure here: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/

There are several sub-projects in jackrabbit. Do we need this for
Sanselan as well? It might be good to define an API project/jar and
an implementation project/jar although I don't know if this is really
needed. How many sub-projects are desirable?

Re: Ready...Set...

Posted by Philipp Koch <ph...@day.com>.
> Where do we want the Sanselan site to live? We could use Confluence
> for both our wiki and site and get some usability and productivity
> gains.
i heard(e.g. felix project) that confluence seems to be quite good,
but do not know it yet in detail.

> What should the structure of the repository be? Some projects use a
> structure that has at the top level trunk, branches, tags, and board.
> Within trunk, some projects have sub-projects, each of which builds a
> separate jar file.
i only know the jackrabbit project in more detail and i think that
structure is quite nice. what do others think?

> What build structure do we want? Sanselan is a relatively small
> project but still, it might be nice to use maven as a build tool to
> make it easy for users to deploy and make it easy for sanselan
> developers to publish.
+1 for maven