Posted to proton@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2014/11/06 21:30:22 UTC

There really is a problem with new qpid-proton repo, the old trunk and new master diverge in 2012

On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 15:03 -0500, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 14:54 -0500, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 11:41 -0500, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > The git migration is complete. The svn repo is now read only. You can find
> > > instructions for accessing the git repo here:
> > >
> > >     https://git-wip-us.apache.org/
> >
> > There appears to be a problem already with the migration!
>
> Ah, no actual problem here! The dev branch is now called
> "master" (unless we want to change it back for nostalgia's sake!)

To re contradict myself! There really is a problem here.

The migration has produced a repo that is different (has a different
branching structure) from the previous mirrors. This appears to be due
to differences in committer naming between the previous mirror repo and
the new repo. The first name difference was in a 2012 commit:
31a106a324f006cb4c817c655b4b30bef4a65465

But there appear to be at least 2 committers: Darryl Pierce and Cliff
Jansen that have names that are different in the 2 branches.

Since this will surely cause pain for the automated github mirroring and
existing repos which many people have we need to sort this out soonest.

Andrew

Re: There really is a problem with new qpid-proton repo, the old trunk and new master diverge in 2012

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:08:12AM -0500, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 03:30:22PM -0500, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

> > > Ah, no actual problem here! The dev branch is now called
> > > "master" (unless we want to change it back for nostalgia's sake!)
> >
> > To re contradict myself! There really is a problem here.
> >
> > The migration has produced a repo that is different (has a different
> > branching structure) from the previous mirrors. This appears to be due
> > to differences in committer naming between the previous mirror repo and
> > the new repo. The first name difference was in a 2012 commit:
> > 31a106a324f006cb4c817c655b4b30bef4a65465
> >
> > But there appear to be at least 2 committers: Darryl Pierce and Cliff
> > Jansen that have names that are different in the 2 branches.
> >
> > Since this will surely cause pain for the automated github mirroring and
> > existing repos which many people have we need to sort this out soonest.
>
> Is this due to my having followed Apache's steps and updating my commit
> email address to be "mcpierce@apache.org"?

Someone emailed me offlist about this and confirmed that was the case.
So, for me, I've removed the entry from the config for Proton.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

Re: There really is a problem with new qpid-proton repo, the old trunk and new master diverge in 2012

Posted by "Darryl L. Pierce" <dp...@redhat.com>.