Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 08:36:03 UTC

[Axis2] Shall we adopt maven2 ?

Hi all,
I've been doing some work in the ws commons project and noticed that
they are using maven2. So this flared up a thought whether we should
upgrade to maven2 too. it seems that maven1 and maven2 can be
supported simultaneously but we may have a issue with inconsistancies
in maintaining two build systems.
So what do you all think? maven2 seems to be quite stable and it's
been around for quite a while.
--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2] Shall we adopt maven2 ? Not now ;)

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 10:31 +0600, Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> Ok I don't want to drag this on but It seems you didn't get the hint
> at all :). What I tried to express was the idea that when things
> change, people (at least most of them) want to go with the latest tech
> thing, even when the old thing is perfectly functional.

If it made our life easier, or made it faster to get this done or
improves the quality of what we're building, I'd +1 it in a jiffy. I
don't see Maven2 doing any of those for us at this point.

> Let's not pull this out again till the 1.0 release is done.

+1; amen.

Sanjiva.

Re: [Axis2] Shall we adopt maven2 ? Not now ;)

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Good that you answered. See my answers inline

>    1. Do we have a major bottleneck with maven 1.x, that we are using
>       now ? I don't see any of them.
Well no!
>    2. Do we need to move in to the latest one, all the times ? I hope
>       not. Simple example is when Intel released 3.2GHz processor, shall
>       I throw away my 2.4GHz processor, which is working fine for my work ??

Well let me see... I have a P1 about 5 years old which is perfectly
functional but I don't use it anymore. I can if I want to but it's not
upto the job :). guess you got the hint;)

>    3. We have come very much closer to Axis2 1.0. I hope we have very
>       high priority items than moving in to maven2. If you want, I can
>       name bunch of items which are very much important than this.

I'm +1 on this. I hoped that moving to m2 would be clear sailing
without any glitches but the geronimo example is an eye opener. It may
become a major surgery which is not at all feasible at this time.

> In a way, for me, this is a nice to have thing. But not necessarily.

agreed. Infact I've converted (atleast adopted) some of the WS-commons
things to maven 1 too.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
Sorry, I didn't see this mail earlier.

This was one of the great things if we can do. I posted some notes about
this sometime back, from the things I learnt from Maven gurus during
last ApacheCon, and I wonder why no one  answered earlier. ;-)

Anyway, maven2 provides us with very good capabilities that we lie to
have, like improved multi module support. But:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to AFTER 1.0. Note that Geronimo still has not moved over
completely due to problems in m2.

-- dims

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.