Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2008/04/22 22:42:56 UTC

[VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

[ Please refer to this thread for context :
   http://markmail.org/message/lg3giq5kj74gjnxb
]

OK, let me make a concrete proposal here.

I hereby propose that we kick off a ws-commons "transports" project.  As
with the other ws-commons projects, this would have its own release
schedule.  All current ws-all committers would have commit rights, and
we'd add anyone from the Synapse team that would like to work on
transports, and isn't already a committer.

Each transport within ws-commons Transports would be a separate
releasable artifact, i.e. "org.apache.ws.transports.jms" etc... and each
such transport would be releasable on its own with an appropriate VOTE
of the ws-commons committers.

We'd use commons-dev and commons-user mailing lists as per usual for
communication, and SVN would be
webservices/commons/trunk/modules/transports.

We'd get started by moving whichever transports in Axis2 and Synapse are
appropriate into the new source tree.

Here's my +1.  Please comment / VOTE at will.

--Glen

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Sanjaya Karunasena <sa...@wso2.com>.
I am +1 for this. In terms of seperation of concerns this make lot of since.

/Sanjaya

Posted by Sanjaya Karunasena <sa...@wso2.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 since Ashanka seems up for it.
David

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:29 AM, sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes I found that and I am working on that now.
>>
>>  axis2-kernel doesn't build anymore because it depends on classes in
>>> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.util which are no longer there.
>>>
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>> Checked with latest code from SVN (Revision: 671282).
> Build is successful.

Added missing transport jar/source files to binary/source distribution.  If
you are testing, please get the latest from SVN.
/sumedha

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this

Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar , but
> I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give single jar as
> well.

I like this idea very much. I said more or less the same thing when we had a
similar disucssion a while back.
If my memory serves me right it was a debate about having to download all
the transports as part of the axis2 distribution whether one wants to use it
or not. A separate jar for each transport is a good idea in that sense. The
debate ended without any real consensus :)

Dims mentioned,
> I agree in priniciple/theory. But IMHO, it won't work because folks who
are directly involved in day-to-day efforts on
> this do not agree and even if they do right now, we will back to square
one in a few months one way or another.
I hope everybody comes to some sort of an agreement and then stick to it.
Dims is right, we need the folks who are working on it to buy in or else it
might not be all that sucessfull.

Rajith

> Thank you!
> Deepal

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for this

Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar , but
> I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give single jar as
> well.

I like this idea very much. I said more or less the same thing when we had a
similar disucssion a while back.
If my memory serves me right it was a debate about having to download all
the transports as part of the axis2 distribution whether one wants to use it
or not. A separate jar for each transport is a good idea in that sense. The
debate ended without any real consensus :)

Dims mentioned,
> I agree in priniciple/theory. But IMHO, it won't work because folks who
are directly involved in day-to-day efforts on
> this do not agree and even if they do right now, we will back to square
one in a few months one way or another.
I hope everybody comes to some sort of an agreement and then stick to it.
Dims is right, we need the folks who are working on it to buy in or else it
might not be all that sucessfull.

Rajith

> Thank you!
> Deepal

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by sumedha rubasinghe <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Yes I found that and I am working on that now.
> axis2-kernel doesn't build anymore because it depends on classes in
> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.util which are no longer there.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 24 juin 08, at 13:13, Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think most of you guys have forgotten about the proposal of moving
>> Axis2 transport as a separate projects. However I did not forget that
>> ;-)
>> As the first step I moved all the transport into a separate module
>> into Axis2 called "transports" and add dependency to that module ,
>> for all the module which are going to use Axis2 transport.
>>
>> As I mentioned the moving is not complete , since I think there are
>> some code cleanup has to be done before moving into a separate
>> project. Once I done with that I will give you the green light.
>>
>> I have make sure that all the test cases are working fine after my
>> changes , but you also run the build and see whether thats works fine
>> for you.
>>> Ah I forgot about the commons-dev aspect. Maybe its easier to avoid
>>> yet another list and use commons-dev .. so I'm fine with what you
>>> proposed.
>>>
>>> Sanjiva.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Deepal
>> http://blogs.deepal.org/

Deepal
http://blogs.deepal.org/

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Yes I found that and I am working on that now.
> axis2-kernel doesn't build anymore because it depends on classes in
> org.apache.axis2.transport.http.util which are no longer there.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 24 juin 08, at 13:13, Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think most of you guys have forgotten about the proposal of moving
>> Axis2 transport as a separate projects. However I did not forget that
>> ;-)
>> As the first step I moved all the transport into a separate module
>> into Axis2 called "transports" and add dependency to that module ,
>> for all the module which are going to use Axis2 transport.
>>
>> As I mentioned the moving is not complete , since I think there are
>> some code cleanup has to be done before moving into a separate
>> project. Once I done with that I will give you the green light.
>>
>> I have make sure that all the test cases are working fine after my
>> changes , but you also run the build and see whether thats works fine
>> for you.
>>> Ah I forgot about the commons-dev aspect. Maybe its easier to avoid
>>> yet another list and use commons-dev .. so I'm fine with what you
>>> proposed.
>>>
>>> Sanjiva.

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Deepal
>> http://blogs.deepal.org/

Deepal
http://blogs.deepal.org/

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.
On June 24, at 13:13, Deepal jayasinghe wrote:

> I think most of you guys have forgotten about the proposal of moving
> Axis2 transport as a separate projects. However I did not forget
> that ;-)

You did (well, almost ;-)

More seriously, now that you are going to move the existing Axis2
transports to the ws-commons project, it will be our turn to move the
Synapse transports there. Did anybody start to elaborate a plan to do
this? I think there are several steps that must be completed before we
can do this move.

Regards,

Andreas

Re: [Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@skynet.be>.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I think most of you guys have forgotten about the proposal of moving
Axis2 transport as a separate projects. However I did not forget that ;-)
As the first step I moved all the transport into a separate module into
Axis2 called "transports" and add dependency to that module , for all
the module which are going to use Axis2 transport.

As I mentioned the moving is not complete , since I think there are some
code cleanup has to be done before moving into a separate project. Once
I done with that I will give you the green light.

I have make sure that all the test cases are working fine after my
changes , but you also run the build and see whether thats works fine
for you.
> Ah I forgot about the commons-dev aspect. Maybe its easier to avoid
> yet another list and use commons-dev .. so I'm fine with what you
> proposed.
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Glen Daniels wrote:
>> Hey Sanjiva:
>>
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>>> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??
>>  >

Deepal
http://blogs.deepal.org/

[Axis2]WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I think most of you guys have forgotten about the proposal of moving
Axis2 transport as a separate projects. However I did not forget that ;-)
As the first step I moved all the transport into a separate module into
Axis2 called "transports" and add dependency to that module , for all
the module which are going to use Axis2 transport.

As I mentioned the moving is not complete , since I think there are some
code cleanup has to be done before moving into a separate project. Once
I done with that I will give you the green light.

I have make sure that all the test cases are working fine after my
changes , but you also run the build and see whether thats works fine
for you.
> Ah I forgot about the commons-dev aspect. Maybe its easier to avoid
> yet another list and use commons-dev .. so I'm fine with what you
> proposed.
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Glen Daniels wrote:
>> Hey Sanjiva:
>>
>> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>>> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??
>>  >

Deepal
http://blogs.deepal.org/

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hey Sanjiva:
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??
>  >
>> We've moved away from commons in Axiom etc. - that is, packages no
>> longer say that and IMO that's better.
>
> The package names don't matter - I'm talking about organization of the
> project.  Axiom, Neethi, etc. are all under webservices/commons in SVN,
> and they all use commons-dev for discussion.  Since commons is a place
> to put common components that are used across the WS universe (and
> elsewhere), that made sense to me as a place to put transports.
>
> I'm fine with webservices/transports too, although I still think they
> would actually make the most sense as separately buildable/deployable
> artifacts under axis2/.
>
> If we're all in agreement for webservices/transports, let's do that, and
> I guess we should kick off transports-dev@ws.apache.org too.
>
> --Glen
>
>> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:

>>> +1 for making a commons project for Axis2 transports. This will help
>>> both Axis2 and other dependent projects such as Synapse.

>>> Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar
>>> , but I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give
>>> single jar as well.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Deepal

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> Hey Sanjiva:
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??
> >
>> We've moved away from commons in Axiom etc. - that is, packages no
>> longer say that and IMO that's better.
>
> The package names don't matter - I'm talking about organization of the
> project.  Axiom, Neethi, etc. are all under webservices/commons in
> SVN, and they all use commons-dev for discussion.  Since commons is a
> place to put common components that are used across the WS universe
> (and elsewhere), that made sense to me as a place to put transports.
+1

Thank you!
Deepal

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hey Sanjiva:
>
> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??
>  >
>> We've moved away from commons in Axiom etc. - that is, packages no
>> longer say that and IMO that's better.
>
> The package names don't matter - I'm talking about organization of the
> project.  Axiom, Neethi, etc. are all under webservices/commons in SVN,
> and they all use commons-dev for discussion.  Since commons is a place
> to put common components that are used across the WS universe (and
> elsewhere), that made sense to me as a place to put transports.
>
> I'm fine with webservices/transports too, although I still think they
> would actually make the most sense as separately buildable/deployable
> artifacts under axis2/.
>
> If we're all in agreement for webservices/transports, let's do that, and
> I guess we should kick off transports-dev@ws.apache.org too.
>
> --Glen
>
>> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:

>>> +1 for making a commons project for Axis2 transports. This will help
>>> both Axis2 and other dependent projects such as Synapse.

>>> Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar
>>> , but I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give
>>> single jar as well.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Deepal

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hey Sanjiva:

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hey Sanjiva:

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Glen, why ws/commons/transports? Why not ws/transports??

+1. And mid you, there will be Java transports as well as C transports.
Count Axis2/C as well.

Samisa...

> We've moved away from commons in Axiom etc. - that is, packages no
> longer say that and IMO that's better.
>
> Sanjiva.
>
> Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
>> Glen Daniels wrote:
>>> [ Please refer to this thread for context :
>>>   http://markmail.org/message/lg3giq5kj74gjnxb
>>> ]
>>>

>>> OK, let me make a concrete proposal here.
>>>
>>> I hereby propose that we kick off a ws-commons "transports"
>>> project.  As with the other ws-commons projects, this would have its
>>> own release schedule.  All current ws-all committers would have
>>> commit rights, and we'd add anyone from the Synapse team that would
>>> like to work on transports, and isn't already a committer.
>> +1 for making a commons project for Axis2 transports. This will help
>> both Axis2 and other dependent projects such as Synapse.
>>>
>>> Each transport within ws-commons Transports would be a separate
>>> releasable artifact, i.e. "org.apache.ws.transports.jms" etc... and
>>> each such transport would be releasable on its own with an
>>> appropriate VOTE of the ws-commons committers.
>> Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar
>> , but I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give
>> single jar as well.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Deepal

Samisa Abeysinghe
Director, Engineering; WSO2 Inc.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
> Glen Daniels wrote:
>> [ Please refer to this thread for context :
>>   http://markmail.org/message/lg3giq5kj74gjnxb
>> ]
>>

>> OK, let me make a concrete proposal here.
>>
>> I hereby propose that we kick off a ws-commons "transports" project.
>> As with the other ws-commons projects, this would have its own release
>> schedule.  All current ws-all committers would have commit rights, and
>> we'd add anyone from the Synapse team that would like to work on
>> transports, and isn't already a committer.
> +1 for making a commons project for Axis2 transports. This will help
> both Axis2 and other dependent projects such as Synapse.
>>
>> Each transport within ws-commons Transports would be a separate
>> releasable artifact, i.e. "org.apache.ws.transports.jms" etc... and
>> each such transport would be releasable on its own with an appropriate
>> VOTE of the ws-commons committers.
> Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar ,
> but I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give single
> jar as well.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Deepal jayasinghe wrote:
> Glen Daniels wrote:
>> [ Please refer to this thread for context :
>>   http://markmail.org/message/lg3giq5kj74gjnxb
>> ]
>>

>> OK, let me make a concrete proposal here.
>>
>> I hereby propose that we kick off a ws-commons "transports" project.
>> As with the other ws-commons projects, this would have its own release
>> schedule.  All current ws-all committers would have commit rights, and
>> we'd add anyone from the Synapse team that would like to work on
>> transports, and isn't already a committer.
> +1 for making a commons project for Axis2 transports. This will help
> both Axis2 and other dependent projects such as Synapse.
>>
>> Each transport within ws-commons Transports would be a separate
>> releasable artifact, i.e. "org.apache.ws.transports.jms" etc... and
>> each such transport would be releasable on its own with an appropriate
>> VOTE of the ws-commons committers.
> Personally I would like to download all the transport as a single jar ,
> but I do not mind releasing them separately as long as you give single
> jar as well.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
+1

Azeez

--
Thanks
Afkham Azeez

http://azeez78.blogspot.com
http://www.wso2.org
GPG Fingerprint: 643F C2AF EB78 F886 40C9 B2A2 4AE2 C887 665E 0760

Re: [VOTE] [Proposal] WS-Commons transports project

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.