Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com> on 2003/06/17 16:59:08 UTC

[users@httpd] Is there anyway to password protect a directory with an *automated* batch file?

Hello Apache,

  I have just finished re-designing a project in which requires
  Apache. During the install phase of my project I would like to offer
  the user the power to password protect certain directories.

  I can pass the password to a batch file and execute it but how do I
  get pass the "enter password" "enter password again" prompts?

  In other words during the install phase the user is given two
  password boxes for Apache. Once they continue I would like to
  somehow automate the Apache batch process.

  Can someone help me with this?

  I currently have the following in a batch file... The root user name
  is dynamically changed to what the user wishes... But how do I
  automate the password prompts as that should have already been taken
  care of at install?

  "Apache\bin\htpasswd.exe" -c "Apache\passwd\passwords" root

  Thank you to anyone who can help me with this :)

--
Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

apache_2.0.46-win32-x86-no_src
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

Re: [users@httpd] Is there anyway to password protect a directory with an *automated* batch file?

Posted by Max Dittrich <Ma...@t-online.de>.
Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello Apache,
>
>   I have just finished re-designing a project in which requires
>   Apache. During the install phase of my project I would like to offer
>   the user the power to password protect certain directories.
>
>   I can pass the password to a batch file and execute it but how do I
>   get pass the "enter password" "enter password again" prompts?

By running htpasswd.exe in batchmode using the switch '-b'?

Have a look at
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/htpasswd.html
for details.

[...]

.max

Re: [users@httpd] Is there anyway to password protect a directory with an *automated* batch file?

Posted by Shane <sh...@ozhost4u.com>.
Thanks, that's all im going to hear from everyone now :). Interesting
problems I have seen.

Cya all.

Best Regards,
Shane