Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by suresh pendap <su...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/08 22:02:28 UTC

regarding exposing merge metrics

Hi,
I am following the instructions from
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_1/metrics-reporting.html
 in order to expose the Index merge related metrics.

The document says that we have to add the below snippet in order to expose
the merge metrics

<config>
  <indexConfig>
    <metrics>
      <majorMergeDocs>524288</majorMergeDocs>
      <bool name="mergeDetails">true</bool>
    </metrics>
  </indexConfig>
...</config>

I would like to know why is this metrics not exposed by default just like
all the other metrics?

Is there any performance overhead that we should be concerned about it?

If there was no particular reason, then can we expose it by default?

Regards
Suresh

Re: regarding exposing merge metrics

Posted by suresh pendap <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shawn,
Thanks for replying to my questions.
So is it correct to assume that exposing merge metrics is not known to
cause any performance degradation?

-suresh

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
Last comment by Shawn on SOLR-10130 is:
Metrics was just a theory, sounds like that's not it.

It would be very interesting to know what really caused the slowdown and do
we really need the config or not.

Thanks
SG

Posted by suresh pendap <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
The merge metrics were enabled by default in 6.4 but they were turned
off in 6.4.2 because of large performance degradations. For more
details, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10130

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 9:11 AM, S G <sg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is actually confusing and the documentation (
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/metrics-reporting.html) does not
> help either:
>
> *Index Merge Metrics* : These metrics are collected in respective
> registries for each core (e.g., solr.core.collection1….), under the INDEX
> category.
> Basic metrics are always collected - collection of additional metrics can
> be turned on using boolean parameters in the /config/indexConfig/metrics.
>
> However, we do not see the merge-metrics being collected if the above
> config is absent. So what basic metrics are always collected for merge?
> And why do the merge metrics require an additional config while most of the
> others are reported directly?
>
> Thanks
> SG
>

> On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM, suresh pendap <su...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am following the instructions from
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_1/metrics-reporting.html
>>  in order to expose the Index merge related metrics.
>>
>> The document says that we have to add the below snippet in order to expose
>> the merge metrics
>>
>> <config>
>>   <indexConfig>
>>     <metrics>
>>       <majorMergeDocs>524288</majorMergeDocs>
>>       <bool name="mergeDetails">true</bool>
>>     </metrics>
>>   </indexConfig>
>> ...</config>
>>

>> I would like to know why is this metrics not exposed by default just like
>> all the other metrics?
>>
>> Is there any performance overhead that we should be concerned about it?
>>
>> If there was no particular reason, then can we expose it by default?
>>

>> Regards
>> Suresh

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: regarding exposing merge metrics