Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Jonathan Marston <ma...@marstonstudio.com> on 2006/07/16 17:54:18 UTC

flex on geronimo

Hello,

I am trying to use Adobe Flex 2 with Geronimo and I have hit a stumbling block. I used Eclipse to create a project and imported in all of the Flex samples into it. I have almost everything working, except for the messaging component, which requires a transaction manager. My test has been the flex sample with the Taxi Cab dispatcher.

I succesfully got the messaging component working in a straight tomcat install following the instructions. This involves installing jotm as the transaction manager and then setting the transaction element in the tomcat context.xml file.
http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/2/install.html#tomcat

Using geronimo i have tried running the sample without any modifications. I also tried putting the jotm jars in my project and then trying to set the transaction element in a geronimo-tomcat.xml file. I used these two pages as a reference
http://static.raibledesigns.com/downloads/howto-tomcat-jotm.html

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-scm/200507.mbox/%3C20050704023635.23998.75812@ajax.apache.org%3E

and no luck so far. I am using geronimo 1.0 and plan on switching to 1.1 soon. I have not built a war file, instead i am working out of eclipse and launching the server from there.

Here are my questions.

1) Where is the right place in my project to set a Transaction element within a context? Is it the geronimo-tomcat.xml file in the WEB_INF folder? How can I tell if my application has picked up the libraries and context values other than checking to see if the application works?

2) Could i use the builtin geronimo transaction manager instead of jotm? I understand that there is one, but I don't know how to set the context's transaction element property so that the sample application recognizes it. Is the built in transaction manager conflicting with jotm?

As you might guess, i am a flash/flex developer new to j2ee and geronimo. If I can get this working completely i will be sure to promote how to use geronimo as a platform for flex development. thanks for any help you can provide.

Jonathan Marston
Marston Development Studio LLC

RE: flex on geronimo

Posted by Jonathan Marston <ma...@marstonstudio.com>.
I've dug around a bit. I haven't found much that explains exactly what
kind of transaction manager flex expects. It seems to work well with the
jotm package and straight tomcat, but I don't know much more beyond
that. Any guidance on how to get the flex cab application working in
Geronimo is much appreciated.

Here is what I can offer:

1) The cab application that is giving me trouble uses the JavaAdapter
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/ww
help.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00001196.html

2) The straight tomcat installation flex instructions require adding the
jotm jar files to the class path and putting a context.xml file in the
application meta-inf directory with the contents:

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/samples" privileged="true"
     antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="false">
  <Transaction factory="org.objectweb.jotm.UserTransactionFactory"
jotm.timeout="60"/>
</Context>

http://www.adobe.com/support/documentation/en/flex/2/install.html#tomcat

3) The javadoc for flex data services
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/fds2javadoc

4) class library for flex
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/2/langref/index.html

5) the console error message in eclipse when I try to access the data.
This is a flex error as opposed to a java error.

[Flex] [ERROR] Exception when invoking service: data-service
  with message: Flex Message (flex.data.messages.DataMessage)
    operation = transacted
    id = null
    clientId = 82D06A2D-E20D-957F-2BCF-582DBA298222
    correlationId =
    destination = flexcab.fare
    messageId = D7A76808-29C3-15CD-3FF1-7F4F39809D61
    timestamp = 1153187133698
    timeToLive = 0
    body =
    [
      Flex Message (flex.data.messages.DataMessage)
          operation = create_and_sequence
          id = ASObject(23044789){fareId=0}
          clientId = E76A367F-2814-62DB-8672-7F4EE43C7DC5
          correlationId = D7A76808-29C3-15CD-3FF1-7F4F39809D61
          destination = flexcab.fare
          messageId = 9D5C3DDC-8913-48A1-7BAF-7F4F398029FB
          timestamp = 0
          timeToLive = 0
          body = Fare ( id = 0    customer = Customer ( phone =
9786676636 )    callTime = Mon Jul 17 21:45:33 EDT 2006    callPoint =
Point (29.0, 149.0)    pickupTime = null    dropoffZone = Point (405.0,
429.0)    dropoffTime = null )
          hdr(referencedIds) = {}
          hdr(destClientIds) =
{flexcab.fare=E76A367F-2814-62DB-8672-7F4EE43C7DC5,
flexcab.customer=498BB2EC-ADE0-A835-A1C2-7F4EE43CDC25,
flexcab.cab=1AB3CEB6-7563-9C1B-880A-7F4EE42D4256}
    ]
    hdr(DSEndpoint) = my-rtmp
  exception: flex.data.DataServiceException: Unable to access
UserTransaction in DataService.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.