Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Siva <si...@sella.it> on 2003/12/19 14:35:42 UTC

Geronimo - trademark violation?

I just ran geronimo using googlism.com and cudn't find anything which
relates to "jumping off a cliff".So that's
a good sign(ok ok i voted against the name)

But i found that a company called as "Apex Data Systems"
http://www.apexdatasystems.com/index.html
has a product called as Geronimo.Will it be a trademark violation if we use
the same name?Can some one throw more light?

Regards
Siva

Re: Geronimo - trademark violation?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@4quarters.com>.
On Dec 19, 2003, at 1:11 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Siva wrote:
>> But i found that a company called as "Apex Data Systems"
>> http://www.apexdatasystems.com/index.html has a product called as
>> Geronimo. Will it be a trademark violation if we use the same name?
>> Can
>> some one throw more light?
>
> Not really, it's in a different segment.  When the group of us first
> started using the term "Apache", there was already at least one video
> game
> using "Apache" in its name, and one hardware vendor as well.  The
> trademark, whether registered or not, wouldn't be on "Apache" or
> "Geronimo" by itself anyways.  It would be on "Apache HTTP Server",
> "Apache Software Foundation", etc; so we really should be thinking of
> the
> trademarkable entity here being something like "Apache Geronimo" or,
> more
> defensibly, "Geronimo Application Server".  Note that "Geronimo J2EE
> Server" would not be something we could use, since J2EE is Sun's
> trademark.

We actually could use that, as we have a trademark license for J2EE now
with the ASF as an <trumpet>Official Licensee</trumpet>.  However, I
can't imagine anyone would want to add "J2EE" to the name, as I'm sure
we'd spend a bit of time worrying about correct usage by people
bundling the thing into distros.

geir

geir@4quarters.com

Re: Geronimo - trademark violation?