Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by jl...@household.com on 2002/08/02 19:05:26 UTC

Documentation of New Ant Tasks

I have been working on fixing the existing optional Visual Age for Java ant
tasks.  In the process I am also creating a couple new tasks that
complement
the existing VAJ tasks.  My current question is how to document the new
tasks.  The original tasks have a good deal of javadoc comments whose
pattern I have followed but I notice there is more information in the
online manual than is available in the javadoc comments.  From this I
conclude that I should change the html in the manual pages or some source
from which the html files are generated.  I have briefly looked on the
jakarta site but found no guidance on where to start.  Should I really be
looking for some latex document, etc?

James Lee Carpenter
Software Engineer
Household Technical Services
858-609-2461
jlcarpenter@household.com

Re: Documentation of New Ant Tasks

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
> My current question is how to document the new
> tasks.  The original tasks have a good deal of javadoc comments whose
> pattern I have followed but I notice there is more information in the
> online manual than is available in the javadoc comments.  From this I
> conclude that I should change the html in the manual pages or some source
> from which the html files are generated.  I have briefly looked on the
> jakarta site but found no guidance on where to start.  Should I really be
> looking for some latex document, etc?

html for user related info and javadoc for dev related information I would
say.

Re: Documentation of New Ant Tasks

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I have been working on fixing the existing optional Visual Age for Java
ant
> tasks.  In the process I am also creating a couple new tasks that
> complement
> the existing VAJ tasks.  My current question is how to document the new
> tasks.  The original tasks have a good deal of javadoc comments whose
> pattern I have followed but I notice there is more information in the
> online manual than is available in the javadoc comments.  From this I
> conclude that I should change the html in the manual pages or some source
> from which the html files are generated.  I have briefly looked on the
> jakarta site but found no guidance on where to start.  Should I really be
> looking for some latex document, etc?

some of the 1.5 tasks (setproxy and, um, something else that escapes me but
it was one I stuck in) only use the xdoclet generated docs, so everything
stays in one file. For new tasks, I'd take that path, remembering to escape
angle brackets and the like in the java source to make it less readable,
then use proposal/xdocs to doc things.

Re: Documentation of New Ant Tasks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
For now, change the HTML - this is how it is currently done.

But sometime in the (near?) future I will start migrating the XDoclet
(proposal/xdocs) stuff into the mainstream for complete automated
documentation generation from the source code (with probably some
merging in of examples from external files).

	Erik