Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "tom.bujok" <bu...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/13 16:19:28 UTC

Patch - Allow wildcards in dependency exclusions - MNG-3832

Hi,

Few months ago I implemented a patch for ticket MNG-3832
(http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3832)
Not only did I include the patch, but also a test case encompassing 21 unit
tests which proves the correctnes of the implemented approach.
The solution I have implemented could be easily included in the 2.2.2
version. Many people urgently require this feature (including me). There are
16 votes here and 74 in MNG-2315

If the approach that I implemented is not inline with the Maven2
architecture I can implement it once more or correct it. I am willing to
contribute and to have this done in the 2.2.2 version of Maven.

It would be grate if somebody could give a little bit of feedback.

Regards,
Tomasz Bujok

-----
My IT Blog: http://www.tomek.bujok.info

Re: Patch - Allow wildcards in dependency exclusions - MNG-3832

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
tom.bujok wrote:

> It would be grate if somebody could give a little bit of feedback.

Sorry for not responding earlier.

I think the biggest concern here is backwards compatibility; this is a
puzzle that I don't think any of us have solved, and which blocks a LOT of
cool features we've considered.

Suppose we turn this feature on in Maven 2.2 or even 3.0, and suppose
someone deploys a POM with this feature to the central repository on
repo1.maven.org.

Now suppose a user of Maven 2.0 or 2.1 try to consume the new POM.  They
need to follow/understand your dependency exclusions also, but naturally,
we can't go back in time and re-release those old versions with support
for the new POM features.

I don't think we know what to do about this going forward.  I don't even
think we've entirely enumerated the potential issues around backward
compatibility to know how to go forward yet.

I hypothesize that the end result will be one more big compatibility
break that includes an extensibility model solid enough to satisfy our
plans for multiple years to come.  But this remains to be seen... :-(

-Dan