Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/02/15 11:10:41 UTC

Re: Re: Re: Please vote for a new NetBeans logo

I think a logo is something we should work on close to the time of
releasing NetBeans out of the incubator as a top level Apache project. At
that point, a lot of things will be clearer and more concrete.

At this stage, could we consider the attached transitional logo, i.e., for
netbeans.apache.org and other places where we reference the transition,
i.e., the NetBeans logo with an Apache feather stuck in it? So, netbeans.org
(i.e., the site we've had forever) would continue having the standard
NetBeans logo, while netbeans.apache.org would clearly indicate that
NetBeans as a whole is in a state of transition, via the clearly
recognizable NetBeans logo that has always been used supplemented by the
widely recognized Apache logo?

Gj

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
+1 to using the process for everything. I too think changing the logo right
now could be too early. It would be nice to use a clear process to allow
for submissions before voting begins, which didn't happen as things were
already in progress or with votes when broadcast if I remember correctly,
and using the old logo for now is best until that process happens.

Wade

On Feb 15, 2017 9:13 AM, "Emilian Bold" <em...@gmail.com> wrote:

It would be nice to follow some Apache process here.

I already mentioned that to me the vote is premature. I guess Chris could
withdraw his vote request and cancel all this?

I do not agree with just taking Geertjan's suggested logo as there was no
voting for it.

To me keeping the existing logo and just using the new Apache NetBeans
(incubating) name is sufficient to differentiate the two.

We could talk again about a differentiating logo when we are close to
making a release under incubation.

--emi

Pe 15 feb. 2017, la 15:06, Marcelo Aleks <ma...@gmail.com> a scris:

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Agreed absolutely. My suggestion is simply to have a clear indication that
we're in transition to Apache here and so a transitional logo combining
Apache with NetBeans would represent that.

Gj

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Aleks <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
Ha, logo is very cool  :)

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
Does the current NetBeans site not use PHP and a Wiki? So, hand edited
static content is going to be a task to rework later, as I assume headers
etc are branded now using those technologies. As suggested in the thread
specifically about this, there are things which we can investigate, along
with other Apache site repos, to find tools to make this easier with
preprocessing, and a build server as Daniel mentioned, and we can probably
find a tool which can use various formats including HTML and MarkDown
files; to generate a static site.

Jumping in and us all adding or editing pages without a clear framework is
going to have some elements of chaos. I think the Apache process can help
here too. First research some options, then vote on them based on good
data, then start moving these things around in a clearer context, and that
doesn't have to take too long.

Modifying and editing the site today is simple, but also not based on a
process. The changes applied to the asf-site branch don't get vetted by
automation nor abstracted from a direct push to the outside/web, and
affords no checks and balance against bad edits or conformity. As it
stands, one edits the repository like any other at ASF, either through
github or the Apache git repo which it is a mirror, and using your
credentials. The asf-site branch is the one published to the web, but only
the content under the folder named "content", so consider it the root of
the site;
https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans-website/tree/asf-site?files=1
It also uses git pub-sub, an ASF thing,
https://www.apache.org/dev/gitpubsub.html, as setup by Daniel and co, to
update the published site automatically on any push to the repository which
updates specifically that branch and folder.

I suggest a separate thread to target the site, and how we may automate it,
plus some branch offs to investigate current sites and tools.

Wade

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Aw: Re: Please vote for a new NetBeans logo

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Randall Wood <ra...@alexandriasoftware.com>.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please vote for a new NetBeans logo

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Attachment attached again.

Gj

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> supplemented
> >> by the widely recognized Apache logo?
> >>
> >> Gj
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
> >> bdelacretaz@apache.org[mailto:bdelacretaz@apache.org]> wrote:On Mon,
> Dec
> >> 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Christian Lenz <Christian.Lenz@gmx.net[mailto:
> voting....
> >>
> >> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/LogoContest[https://wiki.apache
> >> .org/solr/LogoContest] and
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84[https://issues
> >> .apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84] might provide ideas on
> >> how to run such a logo contest.
> >>
> >> -Bertrand
> >>

> --
> Dr Zoran Sevarac, Assistant Professor
> Department of Software Engineering
> Faculty of Organisational Sciences, University of Belgrade,

I couldn't see it too. I have to be fine with that, the problem is it doesn't fit into the new layout but we can do that.

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Aw: Re: Re: Re: Please vote for a new NetBeans logo

Posted by Christian Lenz <Ch...@gmx.net>.

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2017 um 12:10 Uhr
Von: "Geertjan Wielenga" <ge...@googlemail.com>
An: dev@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Re: Re: Please vote for a new NetBeans logo

I think a logo is something we should work on close to the time of releasing NetBeans out of the incubator as a top level Apache project. At that point, a lot of things will be clearer and more concrete.

At this stage, could we consider the attached transitional logo, i.e., for netbeans.apache.org[http://netbeans.apache.org] and other places where we reference the transition, i.e., the NetBeans logo with an Apache feather stuck in it? So, netbeans.org[http://netbeans.org] (i.e., the site we've had forever) would continue having the standard NetBeans logo, while netbeans.apache.org[http://netbeans.apache.org] would clearly indicate that NetBeans as a whole is in a state of transition, via the clearly recognizable NetBeans logo that has always been used supplemented by the widely recognized Apache logo?

Gj

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org[mailto:bdelacretaz@apache.org]> wrote:On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Christian Lenz <Christian.Lenz@gmx.net[mailto:Christian.Lenz@gmx.net]> wrote:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84] might provide ideas on

Posted by Michael Müller <mi...@mueller-bruehl.de>.
+1

Am 15. Februar 2017 12:10:41 MEZ schrieb Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>:
>I think a logo is something we should work on close to the time of
>releasing NetBeans out of the incubator as a top level Apache project.
>At
>that point, a lot of things will be clearer and more concrete.
>
>At this stage, could we consider the attached transitional logo, i.e.,
>for
>netbeans.apache.org and other places where we reference the transition,
>i.e., the NetBeans logo with an Apache feather stuck in it? So,
>netbeans.org
>(i.e., the site we've had forever) would continue having the standard
>NetBeans logo, while netbeans.apache.org would clearly indicate that
>NetBeans as a whole is in a state of transition, via the clearly
>recognizable NetBeans logo that has always been used supplemented by
>the
>widely recognized Apache logo?
>
>Gj
>
>On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
><bdelacretaz@apache.org
>> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Christian Lenz
><Ch...@gmx.net>
>> wrote:
>> > ...I didn't know how to start so I set this first to create a
>voting....
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/LogoContest and
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-84 might provide ideas on
>> how to run such a logo contest.