Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/05 19:52:48 UTC

[Faces 1.2] - Prepared layout for component autogeneration in the myfaces 1.2 branch

Hi,

I have just committed the changes needed in the myfaces branch to start
writing the XMLs to autogenerate the components with the awesome
maven-faces-plugin (which comes from the trinidad project). I have done some
basic modifications to that plugin [1] to be able to generate myfaces code
(compliant to the spec), so it can generate all the api components, and also
the tag classes. The plugin needs still work to generate the convertee and
validator tag classes, but it is usuable (I think) to start writing the XMLs
for the components). When the converter/validator tag generators are
implemented, the plugin should be merged with the one in the trinidad
faces-1_2 branch and then we should decide the way to put this plugin
somewhere, available to myfaces 1.2. Now it is using a version that I have
in my repository in people.apache.org, so it is possible to do myfaces
1.2using this plugin.

Generate the new components is as *simple* as writing the XMLs defining the
components. The UIComponent has been already implemented and now it is
autogenerated. A good thing about this plugin, is that you can merge an
existing template (a class) with the code autogenerated by the plugin, so
you can include specific component/tag behaviour. For the UICommand see the
UICommandTemplate in core/api/src/main/java_templates.

A new module has been created, called myfaces-build, which contains all the
XMLs. The core modules (api and impl) uses the plugin now. In api, to
generate the components, and in impl to create the faces-config.xml file,
the tags and the taglib. To do the different tasks, different goals from the
maven-faces-plugin are called. A good thing about this plugin too, is that
it will allow to create a taglib file for facelets automatically.

Now it is the time to write good XMLs for the components, with its
properties well-documented, so we have a more comprehensive source code for
faces 1.2.

Eventually, this plugin could be used to generate the tomahawk library and
the api components for myfaces 1.1. Extending the plugin is
straight-forward.

Cheers,

Bruno

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/adffaces/branches/myfaces-1_2-maven-faces-plugin

Re: [Faces 1.2] - Prepared layout for component autogeneration in the myfaces 1.2 branch

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Ah ok, when those converter/validator tags generators are created for
myfaces we should merge the new branch with the faces-12 branch for
trinidad, including your changes in the trunk...

Bruno

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
cool stuff,

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Hi Matze, I just did a quick look over the codegen code.
Is there a reason why the code uses a printwriter api instead of
templating, like xdoclet does?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Hola Bruno, great stuff,