Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Ro...@GiftOasis.com on 2019/10/11 12:18:09 UTC

Greetings

Hi Lucene Devs,

My name is Ron Clabo and I just discovered Lucene.Net about 3 months ago.
I've been working to understand Lucene and integrate it into an ecommerce
marketplace platform I'm working on.  I find that the Lucene codebase is
quite wonderful and the fact that the project strives to be a line for line
port of Java Lucene means that as a new Lucene developer I have both the
Lucene.net docs and the Java Lucene docs to turn to.  Awesome!

I'd like to thank all the devs that have put time into making Lucene.Net
possible and I would like to especially thank Shad Storhaug who has done
such an enormous about of the work and currently who is working to get this
project back on track.  Thank you Shad Storhaug!

Best,

-Ron Clabo

Chapel Hill, NC USA

RE: Greetings

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Ron,

Sounds good. Please let me know if there is anything that is unclear, and I will try to clarify.

If what you are looking for is a small task to do a trial run, an item that isn't listed on JIRA is to make a cross-OS version of build.bat, which is just a wrapper around a PowerShell build script. The fact that it is a .bat file is the only thing holding us back from being able to build with simple command line options on non-Windows platforms. Essentially all build.bat does is define a few parameters with an optional value (https://github.com/apache/lucenenet/blob/master/README.md#build-options) that can be entered in any order and then uses them to launch the PowerShell build script. Ideally, a user would be able to enter the same commands on any OS in order to start the build.

If you already have the skill set to do this, it should be quick and simple. If not, there isn't a lot of research involved to get it done, as the script isn't very complicated. Either way, it is a small investment of time that you can use to broaden your understanding of how to contribute.

Regards,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)
Project Chairperson - Lucene.NET