Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Per-Erik irt Persson <pe...@irt.kth.se> on 2013/08/21 09:59:01 UTC

reject unverified sender with infut from spamassassin

I have used spamassassin as one of my tools to fight phishing for a while.

Recently this idea which involves smtpverification and logmonitoring
emerged.
Monitoring the syslog for certain phishy tags such as EMAIL_URI_PHISH or
similar and connecting this to a trigger that extracts the senders
emailaddress is giving me a nice overview today.
But hooking this up to a script that inserts the sender into the postfix
accesslist and requesting smtpverification for those specific senders
should be working like a charm.

I can be quite aggressive in which tags I use since I do not classify it
as phishing or not, just requesting that the sender actually exists.
This will not stop emails sent from legitimate emailservers but botnets
and hacked webservers will have a hard time configuring/reimplementing
something that works with smtpverification.

Has someone done something similair before?
Or is smtpverification just a path that you don't want to walk down?

Re: reject unverified sender with infut from spamassassin

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.
Am 21.08.2013 11:41, schrieb Per-Erik irt Persson:
> On 08/21/2013 10:22 AM, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 21.08.2013 09:59, schrieb Per-Erik irt Persson:
>>> Or is smtpverification just a path that you don't want to walk down?
>> please read i.e
>>
>> http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html

>> Sender address verification for all email
>>
>> Unfortunately, sender address verification cannot simply be turned on
>> for all email

>> so ,in short words , you may do sender verify in very very special cases
>> but never do it global, sender may be forged, so your verify does smtp to
>> orig servers of forged mail addresses, so at the end your server may get
>> blacklisted , also it doesnt work very fine with "greylisting" servers
>>
>> try better ways, i.e analyze your logs see if spf, dkim check may help etc
>>
> Thanks for the input, so far I have only added smtpverification to
> emailaddesses that I suspect being hosted on hacked webservers and
> sending things that I assume is phishing.
> You are right that I could automatically rule out smtpverification for
> sites that seems to use spf and dkim properly, no matter how phishy the
> content looks to spamassassin.
> If I collect enough evidence about a sender and the emailserver
> he/she/it actually comes from, I could just as well reject it.
> All this is combined with the frequency of the sender, phishingemails
> usually don't travel alone...

as i wrote

you may do sender verify in very very special cases, so if you have
enough "filter jedi power" before doing verify,it might work fine for
your case/place

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: reject unverified sender with infut from spamassassin

Posted by Per-Erik irt Persson <pe...@irt.kth.se>.

Posted by Robert Schetterer <rs...@sys4.de>.