Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/02/03 18:43:22 UTC

[beanutils] 1.6.1 release? [WAS Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly - fixed!]

for this to be of any use to maven, it will need to be done quickly.

if people are in agreement that a special 1.6.1 release with the aim of
fixing this problem for maven and jelly is worthwhile, i'll volunteer to
act as release manager.

my plan would be to create a branch ASAP and moved as quickly as possible
to a release without fixing any other problems which emerge.

- robert

Re: [beanutils] 1.6.1 release? [WAS Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly - fixed!]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:43:22 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [beanutils] 1.6.1 release? [WAS Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release
>     breaks Maven and Jelly - fixed!]
>
> for this to be of any use to maven, it will need to be done quickly.
>
> if people are in agreement that a special 1.6.1 release with the aim of
> fixing this problem for maven and jelly is worthwhile, i'll volunteer to
> act as release manager.
>
> my plan would be to create a branch ASAP and moved as quickly as possible
> to a release without fixing any other problems which emerge.

I'd like to look at the problem report and proposed patch on #16525 as
well.  One of the main reasons that people are trying to use
BeanUtils.setProperty() instead of BeanUtils.copyProperty() -- despite the
warning in the Javadocs not to -- is that the former makes some effort to
deal with nested and indexed properties, while the latter doesn't at the
moment.  And Tim was kind enough to offer not only a patch but some test
cases as well.

I can commit to looking at this tonight (Pacific time), unless Robert
beats me to it.  But I'd really like to include this in 1.6.1 if we can.
(Struts is under the same sort of time pressure as Maven with respect to
wanting a released version of beanutils.)

> - robert

Craig

Re: [beanutils] 1.6.1 release? [WAS Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release breaks Maven and Jelly - fixed!]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:43:22 +0000
> From: robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <co...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [beanutils] 1.6.1 release? [WAS Re: [beanutils] 1.6 release
>     breaks Maven and Jelly - fixed!]
>
> for this to be of any use to maven, it will need to be done quickly.
>
> if people are in agreement that a special 1.6.1 release with the aim of
> fixing this problem for maven and jelly is worthwhile, i'll volunteer to
> act as release manager.
>
> my plan would be to create a branch ASAP and moved as quickly as possible
> to a release without fixing any other problems which emerge.

Robert,

Given no feedback from Tim, and some more testing on my part, I feel
pretty comfortable with doing a BeanUtils 1.6.1 release to pick up this
fix.

At the same time, could I impose on you to do a Digester 1.4.1 as well?  I
totally botched the fix for 16233, which broke anyone trying to use
write-only properties (this was the issue discussed on COMMONS-USER
today).

Thanks!

> - robert

Craig