Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/23 03:18:47 UTC

crawling pdf and word file

hi there,

Is there any specific setting need to be added in
configuration file in order to crawl and index pdf and
word file?

thanks,

Michael,

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: parsing pdf file

Posted by Ravi Chintakunta <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

The default value for the content limit in nutch-default.xml is 65536.
This is set in these properties:

http.content.limit
file.content.limit
ftp.content.limit

So irrespective of the file size,  the download is limited to this value.

To allow parsing of the files that exceed this limit, copy the above 3
properties into nutch-site.xml and increase them to your desired
number.

- Ravi Chintakunta

Re: fetching https pages

Posted by kauu <ba...@gmail.com>.
i think u need a protocol to parse the https
so u need to change this in ur nutch-site.xml if u hava the
protocol-https plugin

<name>plugin.includes</name>
  <value>nutch-extensionpoints|protocol-http|protocol-https
|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url)</value>

<description>Regular expression naming plugin directory names to
  include.  Any plugin not matching this expression is excluded.
  In any case you need at least include the nutch-extensionpoints plugin. By
  default Nutch includes crawling just HTML and plain text via HTTP,
  and basic indexing and search plugins.
  </description>
</property>

--
www.babatu.com

Re: fetching https pages

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Michael Ji wrote:
> hi there:
>
> Does the following lines in nutch-site.xml will let
> nutch to fetch https page down?
>
> "protocol-(http|https)"

No. There is no plugin named "protocol-https". In order to handle HTTPS
you need to use the "protocol-httpclient" plugin, which handles both
HTTP and HTTPS - and then you should remove "protocol-http" from your
config.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

fetching https pages

a way to fetch, parse, index and query pdf/msword

Posted by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com>.
hi there,

Within nutch-site.xml, I added pdf|msword for
parse-/index-/query-

I wonder if it is the proper way to tell nutch to
fetch,index and query these two file formats?

thanks,

Michael,

<property>
<name>plugin.includes</name>

<value>

nutch-extensionpoints|protocol-http|
urlfilter-regex|
parse-(text|html|pdf|msword)|
index-(basic|pdf|msword)|
query-(basic|site|url|pdf|msword)

</value>
  <description> </description>
</property>

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: search word file

Posted by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com>.
I found my index.done file has 0 size; Is it wrong?

but I can't find the error in the indexing log;

"060324 095226 * Moving index to NFS if needed...
060324 095226 DONE indexing segment 20060324095213:
total 1 records in 0.688 s (Infinity rec/s).

http://www.ala.org/ala/rusa/rusaprotools/referenceguide/illformprint.doc

http://mail.yahoo.com

search word file

parsing pdf file

Re: crawling pdf and word file

Posted by Michael Ji <fj...@yahoo.com>.
hi Sudhendra:

I use the same configuration as you suggested in
nutch-site.xml

I did a testing and after look at the fetch log, found
the following error message

"
fetch okay, but can't parse
http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/cwes/papers/work_papers/wp6_2005.pdf,
reason: failed(2,203): Content-Type not text/html:
application/pdf
"

Does that mean pdf is downloaded but doesn't parse
successfully? So we can't search the word in pdf file
directly?

thanks,

Michael,

By the way, I use nutch 07 to do testing.

--- sudhendra seshachala <su...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In Nutch-default.xml,
> Include plugin for word and PDF as below.
>
> <property>
>   <name>plugin.includes</name>

<value>protocol-http|urlfilter-regex|parse-(text|html||msword|pdf)|index-basic|query-(basic|site|url|jobs)</value>

Posted by sudhendra seshachala <su...@yahoo.com>.
In Nutch-default.xml,