Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Zara Parst <ed...@gmail.com> on 2023/02/23 01:05:31 UTC

About Using Hadoop in SolrCloud

Hi,

I read at many places about using Hadoop in solrCloud. I try to find the
reason why to use Hadoop in place of a local file system. Can someone
briefly explain why to use Hadoop with SolrCloud when solr is just using
Hadoop for indexing and storing logs in Hadoop. Is there any compelling
reason to do that?

Is Hadoop having any advantage over the local file system with solr, since
I can achieve cloud mod storing index in the local file system and can
still use shard and replica.  So my question is what advantage Hadoop will
give me, does Hadoop do indexing fast, does Hadoop take less space to store
index, is that distributed file system is better in Hadoop, like sharding,
replication etc. Or does it take backup automatically?

Please do answer this question as much as possible,

Re: About Using Hadoop in SolrCloud

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

Re: About Using Hadoop in SolrCloud

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
;-).

_______________________
Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>

Posted by Zara Parst <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Yes; this was shocking to me at first because the implications are big and
it's almost a secret.  Ideally the ref guide would scream this loudly;
users today care *way* more about S3 than HDFS.  The "HDFS" Solr module
uses the HDFS client API which has a pluggable back-end, and thus you can
have it talk to S3.  You can search the user list for this; maybe JIRA.
I've briefly dabbled with it (got stuck with incompatible versions) but I
know others have done this (presumably at earlier versions than what I used
at the time).  It's a simple matter of adding the correct JAR files and
some trivial configuration.  The main problem is that such a home-brew
concoction of theoretically compatible things is on your shoulders to
debug/support.  Solr isn't testing its support for this; it will fail for
some versions as it did for me.  Maybe Solr *should* test/support this.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Posted by Zara Parst <ed...@gmail.com>.