Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by sh...@gmail.com, sh...@gmail.com on 2019/01/18 07:00:52 UTC

What different between perl and python version of ORT?

In CIAB, it use python version of ORT.
Perl version of ORT is still updating at the same time.
Is the python version going to replace perl version?

Re: [EXTERNAL] What different between perl and python version of ORT?

Posted by "Fieck, Brennan" <Br...@comcast.com>.
ORT is a very divisive topic - it's continually being added to with weird and
specific hacks to get things to work and we all agree that someday we'll
need to do something about it but there are about a hundred different
ideas as to what that will actually mean.

This is not the first time ORT has been re-written in a language other than
Perl (though it is to my knowledge the first time a re-write has seen so
much use). I think the latest version is a good candidate to eventually
replace the Perl version, but it has a long way to go before it reaches
feature parity. I didn't want to bring it to a vote until I could demonstrate
its viability.

You should know that as the sole author of ORT.py, my opinion is heavily
biased, and there's another movement that's gained quite a bit of support
for doing away with ORT as we know it. Instead, abstract concepts would be
maintained on TO and pushed to ORT (or the user's choice of orchestration
system) which would then generate the necessary configuration on the cache
server itself.

I actually am a big fan of that idea, but it involves a huge effort not only in
re-writing/re-creating the ORT script/concept, but in altering how TO works
- which is always a tough sell. At the very least it should not be done until
the re-write of TO from Perl to Go is done, and I think ideally it'd happen after
"API v2". So that solution - if it's even agreed upon, because that's never been
formally voted on afaik - is a long way out.

So in the meantime I used my involvement with the development of
"CDN in a Box" as a sort of testing ground for a more maintainable Python 3
package to somewhat more generically handle ORT's responsibilities. Most
notably, it doesn't require systemd, which is a big deal for CIAB since systemd
in Docker containers takes some weird permissions, degrades performance,
and is just discouraged in general.

In answer to your question: I hope so, but maybe not, and even then maybe
not for long.