Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason <sp...@angryfish.infosec.its.utexas.edu> on 2004/07/09 03:32:21 UTC

Installation issue - HTTPS connector always sends junk reply

Howdy.
I'm new to Tomcat, and I'm having a bit of trouble finishing a setup
for testing.  I've "set up" the default installation - that is,
unzipped it and run the batch file - and it works very well.  However,
the ride gets a bit bumpy when I try to enable HTTPS connections.

After generating the .keystore file and uncommenting the default port
8443 connector, Tomcat seems to start fine.  The only notable difference
is that a new connector is created (that should be a good sign).  When
I connect to my server at localhost using port 8443, though, it sends
me a small piece of garbage in return.  It always seems to be the same
chunk of binary data; it looks like this (hexdump on x86):
"1503 0100 0202 0a".  Connections to port 8080 continue to work as
advertised; connections to other (random) ports fail as expected.

I've followed the instructions on setting up SSL several times.  I've
got a .keystore file in my home folder, and the HTTP connector is the
default included with the Tomcat 5 binaries (sans comments).  I'm open
to the possibility that I'm repeatedly missing a step, of course.

I've tried Tomcat 5.0.25 and .27 on both Windows 2000 and Linux, using
IE and Firefox as clients; always the same results.  The JVM is Sun's
1.4.2_04 on Linux, and 1.4.1_02 on Windows.

Thanks for any help,
Jason

Re: Installation issue - HTTPS connector always sends junk reply

Posted by Jason <sp...@angryfish.infosec.its.utexas.edu>.
=== Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:32:21PM -0500 / Jason ===
> Howdy.
> I'm new to Tomcat, and I'm having a bit of trouble finishing a setup
> for testing.  I've "set up" the default installation - that is,
> unzipped it and run the batch file - and it works very well.  However,
> the ride gets a bit bumpy when I try to enable HTTPS connections.
>
> After generating the .keystore file and uncommenting the default port
> 8443 connector, Tomcat seems to start fine.  The only notable difference
> is that a new connector is created (that should be a good sign).  When
> I connect to my server at localhost using port 8443, though, it sends
> me a small piece of garbage in return.  It always seems to be the same
> chunk of binary data; it looks like this (hexdump on x86):
> "1503 0100 0202 0a".  Connections to port 8080 continue to work as
> advertised; connections to other (random) ports fail as expected.
>
> I've followed the instructions on setting up SSL several times.  I've
> got a .keystore file in my home folder, and the HTTP connector is the
> default included with the Tomcat 5 binaries (sans comments).  I'm open
> to the possibility that I'm repeatedly missing a step, of course.
>
> I've tried Tomcat 5.0.25 and .27 on both Windows 2000 and Linux, using
> IE and Firefox as clients; always the same results.  The JVM is Sun's
> 1.4.2_04 on Linux, and 1.4.1_02 on Windows.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jason

=== End Quote ===

Pre-answered in another mail; thanks!