Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Michael Heinen <Mi...@nexum.de> on 2002/09/05 10:21:32 UTC

euro sign and transformer exception

I have a problem with the EUR sign. In my pdf docs a # apperas instead of
it.
I transform a xml source directly to pdf by using a content handler and
firing the sax events.

I tried to replace all EUR signs in the xml file by &#x20AC; but this does
not work for me.
I got the following exception:
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: An invalid XML character (Unicode:
0x1a) was found in the CDATA section.

Its not possible for me to replace the EUR sign in the generation process of
the xml source.

The environment:
fop 0.20.3 is running on a Win2K Server and on an AIX Server.
The encoding in my xml file is set to ISO-8859-1.

So what can I do now ?
Because of performance issues I have no fo-file (even not in memory) to
replace the EUR sign in.

Thanx for any help...
Michael

Re: euro sign and transformer exception

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Michael Heinen wrote:
> I have a problem with the EUR sign. In my pdf docs a # apperas instead of
> it.
> I transform a xml source directly to pdf by using a content handler and
> firing the sax events.
>
> I tried to replace all EUR signs in the xml file by &#x20AC; but this does
> not work for me.
> I got the following exception:
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: An invalid XML character (Unicode:
> 0x1a) was found in the CDATA section.

A 0x1a is an EOF, this is unlikely to have something to do with
Euro signs. As the error message tells, this character must not
occur in an XML file, at any place.

> Its not possible for me to replace the EUR sign in the generation process of
> the xml source.
>
> The environment:
> fop 0.20.3 is running on a Win2K Server and on an AIX Server.
> The encoding in my xml file is set to ISO-8859-1.
If someone claims to have put Euro signs in an XML file without
representing them as character reference (i.e. &#x20AC; or a
variant), then the file can't be encoded as ISO-8859-1. Probably
it is Windows code page 1252.

Complain to the XML producer about the illegal characters
and the improper encoding (either the declaration is wrong,
or the representation of the Euro signs), so that they can
fix it.

J.Pietschmann