Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2013/05/25 07:49:56 UTC

[OT] ab and load testing (was: Performance Issue while upgrading from Embedded Tomcat 6 to Tomcat 7)

> Top reported that Tomcat was taking somewhere between 550-600% CPU.
> (This is a 4-core hyperthreaded CPU so I have 8 logical cores. 'ab'
> was taking about 100% CPU so I think 600% CPU means it was roughly
> pegging 6 of my logical cores. Roughly 30% system, 60% user CPU usage.).

The 100% CPU for "ab" indicates that "ab" was your bottleneck. AFAIK
"ab" is single threaded async, so it can handle multiple parallel
connections but will max out on one consumed CPU core. If you want to go
further, you would have to start multiple "ab" in parallel. Since you
are close to a CPU saturated system, in this specific case you might not
get much further, but 17454 requests/sec isn't that bad either :)

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [OT] ab and load testing

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.