Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/07/16 21:55:11 UTC

[Proposal] Remove OpenOffice Consultants list

We have this legacy page:  http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html

Users get to it via three main paths:

1) Google search for "openoffice consultants"

2) The OpenOffice.org Consultants Directory link from our main support
page;  http://www.openoffice.org/support/

3) From the legacy BizDev project page:  http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/

Problem:  The consultants list has not been maintained.  The Spanish
and German links are dead.  Information on getting entries added
changed points to old openoffice.org email addresses that no longer
exist.

IMHO, an out of date list is doing more harm than good.

My Proposal:  Delete the consultants lists and point visitors of the
BizDev home page to the ooo-marketing list.  If someone is really an
OpenOffice consultant they should be easily findable by searching
Google, LinkedIn, etc.   This is not something that we need to
maintain.

-Rob

Re: [Proposal] Remove OpenOffice Consultants list

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 17/07/2012 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>>
>> +1 I agree however like Rob say, would be good to stablish a new proposal
>> on eventually refresh this list. I think the list has its value as a
>> concept.
>

> I agree with the principle of removing the consultants list, but the page
> itself
> http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html
> is now completely gone. Wouldn't it make sense to keep it as a placeholder
> page, even just to send people somewhere else or to say we are not
> maintaining a consultants list for the time being? It is still a top hit in
> search engines and the empty page would be another reason for someone to be
> mislead into thinking that OpenOffice is dead...

That was my intent.  Google will re-index and eventually that page
will no longer be listed.  At that point actual consultants should
show up when users search.

If we kept a page there, even a placeholder one, it would probably
continue to show up as the 1st item in the search results.

-Rob

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> +1. IMHO - JFDI but thanks for letting others say different.

A reasonable alternative would be if someone wanted to propose a fair
process for reviewing and maintaining a consultants list.  But right
now we're hurting potential consultants more than helping them.  If
you search Google for 'openoffice consultant' you get several links to
obsolete website pages before you get a genuine consultant.  So we're
pushing the real consultants off the 1st page of search results by
having the outdated content on our website.

Ditto for CD distributors.  Try searching for "buy openoffice cd".
Our outdated content is competing against our own ecosystem.  And
because of our PageRank the outdated content is "winning".

-Rob

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/16 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>:
> We have this legacy page:  http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/consultants.html
>
> Users get to it via three main paths:
>
> 1) Google search for "openoffice consultants"
>
> 2) The OpenOffice.org Consultants Directory link from our main support
> page;  http://www.openoffice.org/support/
>
> 3) From the legacy BizDev project page:  http://www.openoffice.org/bizdev/
>
> Problem:  The consultants list has not been maintained.  The Spanish
> and German links are dead.  Information on getting entries added
> changed points to old openoffice.org email addresses that no longer
> exist.
>
> IMHO, an out of date list is doing more harm than good.
>
> My Proposal:  Delete the consultants lists and point visitors of the
> BizDev home page to the ooo-marketing list.  If someone is really an
> OpenOffice consultant they should be easily findable by searching
> Google, LinkedIn, etc.   This is not something that we need to
> maintain.
>
> -Rob

+1

Re: [Proposal] Remove OpenOffice Consultants list

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
I support this proposal.

Marcus