Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Mihai Alexandru Bîrsan <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/04 15:45:04 UTC

Sandboxed Futon development

Hi!

I'm a skilled JavaScript developer and I'm interested in developing
features for Futon. I'd like to know if it's possible to work on Futon
without having to build CouchDB. The ideal environment would be to
edit the files under "${COUCHDB}\share\couchdb\www" and have that
managed with either SVN or GIT.

Here are my questions:
• Where could I find guidelines for developing Futon? (If any.)
• What should I do to have pull requests considered? Ideally I'd like
to publish my work, should it prove useful to a greater number of
people.
• Where can I find an issue tracker for Futon? I have a list of
features that I'd like to implement for personal use (including a
better JavaScript editor for map/reduce functions, a deep-level JSON
editor and keyboard shortcuts); after I'm done with the features I'm
interested in, I might take in other issues and bugs to work on.

Thanks,

Mihai Alexandru Bîrsan
http://twitter.com/mihaibirsan
http://ro.linkedin.com/in/mihaibirsan

Re: Sandboxed Futon development

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
It's almost certainly advisable that you're developing Futon with a running CouchDB behind it. A lot of the features simply wont work without that. Are you having trouble getting CouchDB running in a development environment? Or is it something else?

As for contributing: great! I would advise that you create tickets in JIRA, and then provide patches which address those tickets. If the community likes the look of them, they'll be applied to the source. Over time, if you contribute enough, you may be able to commit things yourself without going through the community review process.