Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by lm...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/05/06 16:47:24 UTC

Release plans

I've checked a couple of proposals for upcoming releases into CVS, and have
appended them here for convenience.

Comments welcome.
Lisa.

(See attached file: Xerces2.0.2-REL_PLAN.html)

(See attached file: Xerces2.1-REL_PLAN.html)

Re: Release plans

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@metalab.unc.edu>.
>As for the WML code: is anyone in the world using it? It
>doesn't seem enough to warrant its own sub-project. Perhaps
>it can just be moved out of the Xerces core project and
>retired at the same time.

I'm using it, not for anything major; but it would be a minor problem
for me if it disappeared completely.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |

Re: Release plans

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Moving the serialization code into a sub-project is debatable
since so many users of Xerces use it directly *and*, as Elena
points out, it will be used by the DOM Level 3 LS module. So
I don't really care too much about this particular point
(besides the fact that I've wanted to redesign the serializers
for a long time).

But it seems that most everyone is agreement that the DOM
impls should be moved to their own sub-projects. However...

Since the HTML DOM code is related to and used by NekoHTML to
build HTML DOM documents, perhaps these two should be lumped
together as a single sub-project. So I propose the creation
of a new "xml-xerces-html" sub-project which will initially
contain the HTML DOM implementation and the NekoHTML parser.

As for the WML code: is anyone in the world using it? It
doesn't seem enough to warrant its own sub-project. Perhaps
it can just be moved out of the Xerces core project and
retired at the same time.

Thoughts?

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: Release plans

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
It appears that at least a few people are using the WML DOM
implementation. So even if it's not retired, I do think that
we should move it to a separate sub-project. And it can be
in a "coma" (instead of "retired") from that location. :)

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: Release plans

Posted by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com>.
I'd like to see how far we can go with breaking out components.  HTML
and WML should be separate.

At some point, I'd like to see us be able to build a SAX only parser and
a DOM only parser jar.  We don't have to distribute Xerces that way, but
having ant build options that would let others build such configurations
would be useful.

Re: Release plans

Posted by "Theodore W. Leung" <tw...@sauria.com>.

Re: Release plans

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: Release plans

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.

Re: Release plans

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
lmartin@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> Comments welcome.

Since we have a 2.x.0 point release coming up, do we want to
make *that* the time when we try to do the official split from
the Xerces core into the new sub-projects? For example, moving
the HTML and WML DOMs as well as serialization to their own
sub-project.

Since this would affect what was included in the distribution,
I thought I'd bring it up now.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org