Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/10 11:07:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Accepting gremlint donation

I've had some on and off discussions with the developer of

https://gremlint.com/

whose name is Øyvind btw, about the possibility of making gremlint the
canonical Gremlin code stylizer, and by that I mean, his donating the code
(and domain name) to the Apache Software Foundation under our project. That
situation seems possible now and has been offered to the TinkerPop
Community.

I like the idea of bringing this code here because I feel our style guide
in Gremlin Recipes can only suggest convention and I'd much like to see a
code library managed by our project enforce a proper Gremlin style that can
be used not only as the neat single HTML page of gremlint.com but also as a
code library to Gremlin tool builders.

I also see the opportunity to grow this tool into an online translator to
get you from one Gremlin dialect to another which is a constant problem for
users who are working with the tons of code examples in Gremlin Groovy but
need to get a fast conversion to Python or Javascript. I know I've had that
problem myself on many occasions. An easy to use translator like this would
help users realize that Gremlin in Groovy isn't so different from Gremlin
in any other language and that once you know the subtleties of the
differences you can easily learn Gremlin from any example in any language.

I've not given a ton of thought to how gremlint would be brought in, where
it would go in our source code tree, or how it fits in to
release/deployment, but all that discussion can come later. I think that
for right now, we should simply find consensus on whether or not to go down
this path.

Are there any thoughts or concerns about accepting this code base and the
gremlint.com domain?