Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by OpenWhisk Team Slack <ra...@apache.org> on 2019/03/14 07:23:13 UTC

[slack-digest] [2019-03-13] #performance

2019-03-13 00:01:41 UTC - Matthew Parker: Hi all, I've created a basic function in Python which calculates Pi for a given number of iterations. The top statement in the attached snippet shows how I'm making 4 concurrent invocations of this function with n = 10,000 (number of iterations for Pi). As I understand it, each function is designed to run in its own distinct container, and this holds true for the top statement (4 containers are deployed). When I run the bottom statement, I would expect similar behaviour (8 containers), however, no more than 4 containers are deployed. Is this meant to happen? If so, is there a default setting I can override to achieve "1 container : 1 function"?
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552435301000500?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 00:08:35 UTC - Carlos Santana: Is the invoker configured and deployed with large memory? The number of concurrent actions on a single invoker is based on memory
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552435715001800?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 00:09:28 UTC - Carlos Santana: If you deploy with 1 invoker 2GB configured/allocated to functions then for example you can only run 4 containers of 512MB each
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552435768003400?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 00:21:03 UTC - Matthew Parker: Apologies - I'm still quite new to OpenWhisk, I wasn't aware of this constraint and didn't know the invoker could be configured. Currently, I've just got OpenWhisk running using the 'make run' command from the devtools/docker-compose/ makefile.
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552436463003700?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 01:31:39 UTC - Carlos Santana: Set CONFIG_whisk_containerPool_userMemory variable to higher like “4096m”
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552440699004500?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 01:31:53 UTC - Carlos Santana: <https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-devtools/blob/master/docker-compose/docker-whisk-controller.env>
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552440713004800?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----
2019-03-13 09:18:13 UTC - Matthew Parker: Thanks very much for the suggestion, that's solved my problem. :slightly_smiling_face:
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C9HCXAKJ4/p1552468693005200?thread_ts=1552435301.000500&cid=C9HCXAKJ4
----