Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hae Loong Chan <ha...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/21 07:50:51 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.26 with application is having memory/performance issue

Hi,

I have the memory issue/performance with the following situation:

a. The machine installed with Solaris 10, with memory 2GB and swap space 4GB.
b. Running Tomcat 5.5.26 with one application at Xmx1024m and -Xmx256m
using JDK1.5.0_22.
c. 10 standalone clients are sending the web service request to
application for processing the task using xmlrpc.jar continuously.
d. The script is used to get the system properties, e.g. java.home,
java.class.path, os.name, etc and then construct the http response
send back the client.
e. After 1 week plus, the web users require very long time to login
and somehow the page cannot be displayed.

I have done the following to monitor the issue:
a. Monitor the rss, vsz using ps -eo command, found that the rss and
vsz were increased slightly over time, until hitting 1.70G where the
web users experience slow performance on the page navigation in the
tomcat.
b. I ran the Tomcat by putting the -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC, then analyzed that the gc
heap over time is constant.
c. Use jconsole to record the heap and non-heap usage, triggerring
Full GC, observed that the heap is reset to zero and the non-heap
won't drop. Non-heap memory usage is increased over time.
d. Don't know the reason why cannot get the Tomcat runs into
OutOfMemory, the Tomcat shutdown itself without anything even the
argument "-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError" is applied.

Did I missed out anything to track down the issue? Anyone, please
suggest and correct me.

Thanks.

Regards,
Chan.

Re: Tomcat 5.5.26 with application is having memory/performance issue

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 21/06/2010 06:50, Hae Loong Chan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the memory issue/performance with the following situation:
>
> a. The machine installed with Solaris 10, with memory 2GB and swap space 4GB.
> b. Running Tomcat 5.5.26 with one application at Xmx1024m and -Xmx256m
> using JDK1.5.0_22.
> c. 10 standalone clients are sending the web service request to
> application for processing the task using xmlrpc.jar continuously.
> d. The script is used to get the system properties, e.g. java.home,
> java.class.path, os.name, etc and then construct the http response
> send back the client.
> e. After 1 week plus, the web users require very long time to login
> and somehow the page cannot be displayed.
>
> I have done the following to monitor the issue:
> a. Monitor the rss, vsz using ps -eo command, found that the rss and
> vsz were increased slightly over time, until hitting 1.70G where the
> web users experience slow performance on the page navigation in the
> tomcat.

Take a thread dump and see what each of the threads are doing when this
occurs.

> b. I ran the Tomcat by putting the -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
> -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC, then analyzed that the gc
> heap over time is constant.

What is constant?
The size of the heap, or is GC running constantly?

> c. Use jconsole to record the heap and non-heap usage, triggerring
> Full GC, observed that the heap is reset to zero and the non-heap
> won't drop. Non-heap memory usage is increased over time.
>
> d. Don't know the reason why cannot get the Tomcat runs into
> OutOfMemory, the Tomcat shutdown itself without anything even the
> argument "-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError" is applied.

What's the last thing in the logs?

Are you using any native components?