Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2019/08/07 17:46:19 UTC

HBASE-22728 consequences

HBASE-22728 addresses theoretical exposure to a Jackson CVE by us (via
hbase-rest) or to our downstream by removing Jackson artifacts from our
exported transitive dependencies, and by updating hbase-rest to use a safe
Jackson version. These changes are arguably not suitable for patch releases
because they can cause a transitive binary compatibility problem. For this
reason I would like us to consider immediate EOL of 1.3 and 1.4 with a
recommendation to upgrade to 1.5.0.

In order for that to happen, we need to commit HBASE-22728 to branch-1,
then release 1.5.0 from head of branch-1, which I will do. Assuming test
results are good I will propose a 1.5.0 release candidate in the next few
days.

Or would you find the HBASE-22728 change acceptable for a patch release?

There are other good reasons to move on from 1.3 and 1.4, foremost a nice
reduction in maintenance burden keeping up these old code lines.

Are there any objections or concerns to this plan?

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: Considering immediate EOL of branch-1.3 and branch-1.4 (was: Re: HBASE-22728 consequences)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
I think getting a 1.5.0 out with the Jackson change release noted is the
way to go for fixing the CVE issue. I would also like to move the stable
pointer to that release.

It seems to me that community effort on contorting the 1.4 or 1.3 line to
keep having releases in the face of the Jackson CVE would be better spent
on eliminating barriers to upgrade from those versions to 1.5.0, but I
wouldn't necessarily vote against someone who wanted to show up and do that
work (unless the proposed solution was to just ignore the problem).

I think it's reasonable for us as a community to announce EOL for those
branches upon release of 1.5.0 if we don't already have someone speaking up
to maintain them. As with any EOL branch some set of contributors could
seek to revive if they have a compelling-to-them use.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zach York <zy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--