Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/07/20 08:51:57 UTC

iconv and default/locale charsets

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 01:29:22AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Looks like this would happen if apr_xlate_open() is passed
> APR_LOCALE_CHARSET and the native iconv() doesn't know about
> "ISO8859-1."  What are the parameters to apr_xlate_open?
>
> Regardless, please try again with HEAD of apr/apr-util as I've made
> some autoconf tweaks that should alleviate a lot of the xlate
> problems.  It should also re-activate the code segment that calls
> nl_langinfo() to retrieve the locale's charset.

In case I didn't make it clear, re-activating the call to
nl_langinfo() *should* fix Karl's problem.  So, an update to HEAD
of apr and apr-util should be enough to fix this.

I'm betting that apr_xlate_open is getting called with
APR_LOCALE_CHARSET.  That would explain why iconv is getting
ISO8859-1 as this is what is set in get_default_locale() in xlate.c
(which has a "not necessarily true" comment next to it).  -- justin